Ontario kids to learn all about anal intercourse and vaginal lubrication

Started by Josephus, April 21, 2010, 08:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

On a broader note, I think the society should finally make up its mind on whether it wants to consider children a "private project" of their parents or a communal project undertaken in the interest of the entire society.

If parents want to have an absolute power over how to raise their children (including home schooling them or decide what topics their children shouldn't be taught in schools), then fine but don't expect tax cuts and tax privileges, free education, maternity leave or other privileges that parents usually get. If parents want to get these privileges (on account that raising children is in the interest of the society), then the society should have a say in what children are being taught (in the communal interest), even if parents disagree with it.

It is in the communal interest that children learn about sex before they start having sex, to reduce unwanted teen pregnancies, STDs etc.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2010, 11:33:31 AM
On a broader note, I think the society should finally make up its mind on whether it wants to consider children a "private project" of their parents or a communal project undertaken in the interest of the entire society.

Why?  Clearly it has elements of both.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2010, 11:01:19 AM
I'm an Ontario parent, and I have no problems with this plan.

Martim, I think that making generalizations about a whole country based on anecdotes about some person you've heard of is usually misguided - but I'm making an exception for you, and judging Portugal based on your posts.  :D
I'm judging the entire Union by his posts.

I have concluded that it is no wonder the fucking place fell apart.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 21, 2010, 11:35:28 AM

Indeed - either extreme would be rather horrific.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Because if my taxes are being spent on raising other people's children then I want to have a say in how these children are raised. Isn't this a basic tenet of any democratic redistribution effort?

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2010, 11:38:01 AM

Because if my taxes are being spent on raising other people's children then I want to have a say in how these children are raised. Isn't this a basic tenet of any democratic redistribution effort?

You clearly do have 'a say' - schools set out basic curriculums, etc.  There's a legitimate question about how much of a say, but 'society' has some control over what children are educated.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 11:36:43 AM

Indeed - either extreme would be rather horrific.

I've always been a supporter of a Plato's Republic. :P

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2010, 11:38:01 AM

You do have a say though - but you don't have total say, nor should you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2010, 11:11:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2010, 10:14:02 AM
(please do not use the word "kids" for mid-teens)

Sorry man.  16 year olds are not adults.

Nor are they children.  :rolleyes:

How many times must we have this discussion?

-----

In any case sex ed is a good thing so long as its well done.  Sex ed should be about principles, not techniques...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 11:39:50 AMYou do have a say though - but you don't have total say, nor should you.

I know - it's a part of a democratic process, like any other decision taken by a democratic community. I'm just annoyed whenever some parents seem to come from a position that if they don't their kids to learn about something, this should be the end of any discussion and they should have a final say.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Malthus
Martim, I think that making generalizations about a whole country based on anecdotes about some person you've heard of is usually misguided - but I'm making an exception for you, and judging Portugal based on your posts.  :D

She isn't someone I heard about. I've known her for many years, since she was just 14 years old. Which is why this thing annoyed me even more.  :mad:

And she is hardly the only one - I know another canadian girl (this one from Québéc) who had a very similar experience.  :(

And I also know another canadian girl (from Toronto) who just narrowly avoided that experience, narrowly escaping her would-be abuser (who was from the US and frankly seemed to have no idea that 'no' means 'no').