News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AGEOD's Civil war

Started by Razgovory, April 21, 2010, 07:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I bought this recently but I haven't really figured out how to play.  I do the tutorials, and I start one of the battle scenarios. Guess what?  I have no leaders who can form a corps.  With out a Corps my division commanders (who only have one star) can only command one brigade on account they get scared if they don't know who's immediately above them.  So anyone who's played this have some tips for beginners?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 07:39:57 AM
I bought this recently but I haven't really figured out how to play.  I do the tutorials, and I start one of the battle scenarios. Guess what?  I have no leaders who can form a corps.  With out a Corps my division commanders (who only have one star) can only command one brigade on account they get scared if they don't know who's immediately above them.  So anyone who's played this have some tips for beginners?

As I learned from PDH, you dont need any corps. Stack up your guys into a division and send them against the South. the command penalty will be neglible compared to the numerical advantage.

Razgovory

I found that didn't work.  I just wish the game wasn't so bitchy about who I can promote, who can be active this turn etc.  I often have commanders who don't serve any known function.  They sit around in cities locked in place.  This doesn't seem to be a problem in the South.  Apparently slavery extended to chaining up Federal military officers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martim Silva

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 08:37:36 AM
I found that didn't work.  I just wish the game wasn't so bitchy about who I can promote, who can be active this turn etc.  I often have commanders who don't serve any known function.  They sit around in cities locked in place.  This doesn't seem to be a problem in the South.  Apparently slavery extended to chaining up Federal military officers.

The South also has a lot of chained units. Over 90% of them, actually.

These units will be unfrozen with time, to represent the build-up and the fact that nobody really wanted a conflict in the early months of the war.

Generals who can form Corps are two stars or above. Army generals are three stars or above. There will be some at start.

A divisional general (single star) can have more than one brigade in his division (note that brigades are formed by regiments, which have different equipments). You can form divisions of varied sizes. Try 2-3 brigades + cavalry or artillery. I usually try to form divisons about 7,000 men in size, but don't be surprised to find yourself with 9,000+ men divisions.

You'll be able to promote more generals as they get experienced in battle (their stars will start to flicker. Note their seniority. If you give an extra star to a general that is less senior than another, you will take a VP hit. It can be rather large if his seniority is quite low, and is multiplied/reduced by that generals' political rating - i.e. their ability to gather support in Washington/Richmond

Berkut

Raz, just play the south. Game is meant to be played by Southern fanbois, and is quite fun.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2010, 09:33:50 AM
Raz, just play the south. Game is meant to be played by Southern fanbois, and is quite fun.

Never!

I was playing small battle scenarios so some feature may not come in to play.  But still at Manassas the Union should be able to form Corps.  I have the old codger Scott in Washington but he does nothing.  I'm not sure why he's even in the game.  I can't use him.

Habbaku

:yes:  Berkut's rigorous testing through one and a half years of the game of this proves it to be true.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 21, 2010, 10:20:19 AM

:yes:  Berkut's rigorous testing through one and a half years of the game of this proves it to be true.

There is no need to waste weeks of my time proving what was obvious. I learned that lesson with all the other ACW games.

They are all going to be broken as long as the developers "balance" the game around the Southern SP experience.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2010, 08:05:03 AM
As I learned from PDH, you dont need any corps. Stack up your guys into a division and send them against the South. the command penalty will be neglible compared to the numerical advantage.
Not true, I made corps, very large corps commanded by the useless Union starting commanders - but a 30k man corps (say, 3 of them) in 1862 can do a lot of damage in Virginia...even if it is Hunter leading them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

It only takes a game year or so to get a batch of promotable union generals you don't want to instantly send to the retard camp on the west coast.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Maybe I'll just dive in to a full game.  See how much of the South I can burn down.  What is the difference between the Grand Campaign and the Grand Campaign w/Kentucky?

Ed Anger

If you are talking about the early start, you'll spend most of the early months calling out hordes of militia regiments and skirmishing in the armpit of America, Western Virgina and Missou.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I want to command General Lyon and banish the Confederates from my fair state.

Razgovory

Though really it's just to tide me over till the WWI gold edition (which should work with Vista).  From a gaming perspective WWI is much more interesting since the war is more balanced and many events could have conceivably gone another way (Such as Italy, Turkey, The US staying neutral or entering the war).

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 08:19:02 PM
From a gaming perspective WWI is much more interesting since the war is more balanced and many events could have conceivably gone another way (Such as Italy, Turkey, The US staying neutral or entering the war).

:contract:  Greece and Romania, as well.  WW I is such an awesome situation for gaming.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien