I need to bring something for an office pot luck on Thursday

Started by Barrister, April 20, 2010, 01:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

The title says it all.

I've drifted for years on either not showing up, or buying a ready-made plate of something, for these kind of office events.  But last Christmas I brought in a big plate of my wife's pyrogies and they were a big hit.  So now I want to follow up with something good.

But I'm struggling.  The problem is there is no stove or oven here.  But I want to make something hot, which means I can only serve it in either a crock pot or on a hot plate kind of deal.

Y'all have any ideas for something that can be cooked the night before, then reheated and served the next day and still tastes great? 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

It is kind of like a buffet except everyone brings in one of the dishes and everyone shares.

I suggest you make Salmon chili with raw salmon, white beans, diced onions and lots of spices. It is sure to be a big hit and you can do it in a crock pot.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2010, 01:39:13 PM
Tourtiere.

What's a pot luck?

Pot luck is where everyone brings a single dish, and you all share.

Too many Quebecers in my office to risk making a tourtiere.  :ph34r: :frog:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Alright.

Nachos! Microwaveable & easy. It will be a hit. Who doesn't like Nachos?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Jaron's idea of a chili is a good one.

A hearty soup (chowder, squash "ragoût", red bean) is another.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2010, 01:33:51 PM
Y'all have any ideas for something that can be cooked the night before, then reheated and served the next day and still tastes great?
Cincinnati or Texas chili, both of which are even better the next day than the night you make em.

Also, how is it that you have no oven?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 02:15:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2010, 01:33:51 PM
Cincinnati or Texas chili, both of which are even better the next day than the night you make em.

Also, how is it that you have no oven?  :huh:

I think he means at the office, not at home.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

Make a really good cheese dip.  Or Welsh rarebit.  A high quality warmed cheese dip can be awesome. 

Or buffalo chicken soup with some tortillas to crumple up.
PDH!