Obama administration subpoenaed in Fort Hood probe

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 02:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Interesting, I wonder what the administration is hiding? :hmm:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63I6MA20100419
Obama administration subpoenaed in Fort Hood probe

(Reuters) - Two U.S. lawmakers subpoenaed the Obama administration on Monday for information sought in a congressional probe of last year's shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, that left 13 soldiers dead and an Army psychiatrist charged with murder.

U.S.

Senate Homeland Security Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman, an independent, and Susan Collins, the panel's top Republican, took the action after the departments of Justice and Defense failed to provide the materials by Monday's deadline.

The two senators have been trying for months to obtain documents and be provided access to witnesses that they say are critical to their investigation of the shooting spree at Fort Hood in November that ended with 13 soldiers killed and dozens wounded.

An Army psychiatrist, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, has been charged by the military with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. The case drew heavy criticism after it became known Hasan had been in contact with an anti-American Muslim figure sympathetic to al Qaeda.

In a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, who heads the Justice Department, and Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Lieberman and Collins wrote: "It is impossible for us to avoid reaching the conclusion that the departments simply do not want to cooperate with our investigation."

"It is with great disappointment and reluctance that we have directed service of subpoenas to you which demand disclosure of the requested information by Monday, April 26, 2010," they added.

The Justice and Defense departments sent a letter last week to Lieberman and Collins saying that turning over the information could compromise the case against Hasan.

On Monday, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters, "We will obviously be reviewing it (the subpoenas) and determining the department's next steps."

"We will continue to cooperate with the committee in every way with that caveat, that single caveat, that whatever we provide does not impact on our ability to prosecute," Whitman said.

If the two departments stand firm and refuse to provide the requested information, they could end up facing a contempt of Congress citation and a court fight.

This could all provide an unwanted distraction for a White House already under election-year pressure on a number of fronts, including pressure to cut unemployment.

(Additional reporting by Adam Entous and Jeremy Pelofsky)

(Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

Why does congress investigate that anyway? It's not like this case is particularly political. Can't they just leave it to the normal prosecutors?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 20, 2010, 02:36:41 AM
Why does congress investigate that anyway? It's not like this case is particularly political. Can't they just leave it to the normal prosecutors?
Congressional hearings are a means of convincing constituents that one is "doing something about the problem" without having to actually do anything.

The idea that "contempt of Congress" is a crime any more is absurd.  If it really was a crime, there would be only four-hundred-odd people outside of prison.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2010, 06:19:07 AM
Congressional hearings are a means of convincing constituents that one is "doing something about the problem" without having to actually do anything.
:yes:

QuoteThe idea that "contempt of Congress" is a crime any more is absurd.  If it really was a crime, there would be only four-hundred-odd people outside of prison.
:lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

You guys are way too cynical about congressional hearings.  How else would we have been warned that Guam may capsize if it becomes overpopulated?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

The nerve of these "lawmakers" in grandstanding and trying to bring bad press to Obama.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

Well, what did the President know, and when did he know it???
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2010, 02:09:38 PM

He was in the study with the candlestick.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 20, 2010, 02:20:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2010, 02:09:38 PM

He was in the study with the candlestick.

If it was Clinton, I wouldn't touch that candlestick.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2010, 02:29:34 PM
If it was Clinton, I wouldn't touch that candlestick.  :P

Or the lead pipe, for that matter.