Main Menu

Tea Party, where will it go?

Started by DGuller, April 19, 2010, 06:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 02:01:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2010, 07:54:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2010, 07:13:45 PM
We've seen this song and dance before.  This is just the manifestation of the Reform party and the patriot movement in the 1990's.
I disagree, the Reform Party could have actually won the election if Perot hadn't flaked out and dropped out of the race. I see no possibility of that happening with the Tea Party.

Perot was a loon though.  His loonieness would have manifested itself somehow.
Perhaps, but if he'd manage to hold it until November he could have won.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Well sure isn't a youth movement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 02:09:02 AM

I just don't see that happening. Perot was always a protest vote without a lot of "there" there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2010, 02:35:50 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 02:09:02 AM

I just don't see that happening. Perot was always a protest vote without a lot of "there" there.

I'm not sure exactly what the reform party wanted either.  Which I suppose makes it very attractive.  People fill it up with their own ideas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2010, 09:11:28 PM
At least Prin lets him pretend that he is in charge. :)
No, we both know who wears the pants.  Thing is, we live in a matriarchal society, so that's the way it is with most couples.  Only the Muslims treat women the way they ought to be treated. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Agree... he'd never have won, he would have just given Clinton more of a landslide.

Admiral Yi

There was definitely some there there.  He put deficit reduction on the map.  And while I disagree with the position, his opposition to NAFTA had some there there as well.

Eddie Teach

I don't mean Perot the candidate, I mean the motivations of the Perot voter.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 05:17:08 AM
Agree... he'd never have won, he would have just given Clinton more of a landslide.
He got 18.9% of the vote even after his bizzare behavior. He had a lead with  39 percent, to Bush's 31 percent, and Clinton's 25 percent in June. He definitely could have challenged Roosevelt's mark of 27.4% for a third party candidate. Even if he didn't win outright he could have gotten the election thrown into the House which would have been interesting in it's own right. I know the Dems had more seats, but I'm not sure how they broke down by state.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Dude, his "lead" was early opinion polling, which doesn't mean shit.  IIRC John Kerry had a sizable lead over Bush in opinion polling at that stage of the 2004 campaign.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 07:32:17 AM
Dude, his "lead" was early opinion polling, which doesn't mean shit.  IIRC John Kerry had a sizable lead over Bush in opinion polling at that stage of the 2004 campaign.
The man got 19% after acting like a loon, you really think he wouldn't have done substantially better if he had never dropped out?

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 07:55:17 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 07:32:17 AM
The man got 19% after acting like a loon, you really think he wouldn't have done substantially better if he had never dropped out?
No, because I think the typical Perot voter wasn't voting for Perot, they were voting against the other two candidates.  Perot being more attractive wouldn't have translated into many more voters, IMO.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 07:55:17 AM

Protest-voters aren't going to magically decide to vote for both mainstream candidates once their guy drops out.  And the man was destined to act like a loon.  He did that many times in fact before people started noticing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 01:53:18 AM

The Peasants Revolt in England was mostly middle class as well.

Yes, the huge C14th English middle class.

They had a bit of help from some disaffected noblemen, but it really was mainly peasants.