Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 19, 2010, 12:19:39 PM
I think the birthers have some definition of "natural born"
Yes, it's "not black".  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2010, 12:22:55 PM
McCain was no different, how the hell does the Panama canal zone qualify?

The plan was to get McCain into office, resign because of the Constitutional issue, and coronate Madame Palin as Defender of the Constitution and the Holy Bible.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2010, 12:22:55 PM
McCain was no different, how the hell does the Panama canal zone qualify?
It was in the American Empire at the time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2010, 10:51:58 AM
Let me take this one step further and say: even if he was born in Kenya, and even if his parents weren't American citizens--who cares?  That stipulation in the Constitution is stupid and xenophobic (it does make sense given the era in which the Constution was produced), and I wonder if one could argue that, if all of the above, the fact that a non-citizen was elected President constitutes a sort of popular nullification of the Constution in that regard. 
If one argued for "popular nullification of the Constitution" one would be daft.  The Constitution (especially after amended with the bill of rights) is expressly set up to forbid this "popular nullification" thing of which you speak.

QuoteIMO the people ought to be able to elect whomever they want to to the Presidency.  Similarly, I think the age restrictions are stupid.  If the people are foolish enough to elect a ten year old, then let them do so.  I guess I am in favor of still requiring the President to be a US citizen, but I couldn't care less if they were naturalized or not.
There is a process called "amending the Constitution" for changing the Constitution to comply better with your personal opinions on how things should be.  It is made deliberately difficult.  While I wouldn't vote against either of your proposed amendments (nor the necessary companion amendment to reverse the Twenty-Second Amendment limit on terms), I wouldn't vote for them, either.  They aren't significant enough to warrant an amendment, IMO.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Anything that would prevent Arnold Schwarzenegger from being POTUS must be changed. That is all.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

I'm signing on to the senile theory also.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

More reason for the idiot to be ousted.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Enjoy your goofy mayor. Watching them get shit faced at functions and blabber weird shit is one of the few perks of following city government.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Sad note: This was at a Tea Party rally at noon at a local park. He was asked to speak at it, as the highest ranking Republican in the area. He was stone-cold sober... just stupid.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Yesterday I met with one of the guys running for County Judge-Executive.  Despite the fact that he is a *gasp* Republican, I think I may vote for him.  He seemed like a reasonable fellow and didn't once mention God or Baby Jesus or anything.  He also didn't mention the Tea Party but he seemed to stress fiscal responsibility, which I appreciated.

I'll be voting for either him or this other Republican chick, who also seems to have a reasonable platform, but happens to be a MILF.  :blush:

The Democrat incumbent is running unopposed, and I definitely won't be voting for him because he seems to have spent state funds on booze and strippers (seriously), and also has this habit of getting arrested for DUI.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 06:44:51 AM
because he seems to have spent state funds on booze and strippers (seriously),

Awesome  :)

Quoteand also has this habit of getting arrested for DUI.  :)

Not so awesome.  :(

Caliga

Well, yeah, it'd be one thing if he could do all that and be clever enough to figure out how to not get caught.

We also had a lovely case (this time in Louisville) recently where one of the fire department chiefs was pocketing money being collected for Crusade for Children.  I guess he figured they wouldn't notice when $200,000 in annual contributions dropped to $10,000, or just assume it was "the economy" without doing a little checking around.  I guess he also assumed nobody would notice that, in the same year, he also bought a Hummer, a Porsche, and did a huge amount of renovations on his house.

Ed Anger

Caliga

When low class, blue-collar, uneducated idiots are put in charge of things like, say, budgets, hilarity often ensues. :cool:

Oexmelin

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 07:25:09 AM
When low class, blue-collar, uneducated idiots are put in charge of things like, say, budgets, hilarity often ensues. :cool:

How would you characterize what happens when high class, white collar, educated wiseguys are put in charge of things like, say, budgets ?
Que le grand cric me croque !