News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2012, 06:13:21 AM
I made a really good chili this weekend, but only realized on Saturday evening, after the shops were closed, that I was down to my last tp roll.

It turned out fine. And there was no real crisis, anyways, because some supermarkets at railway stations are open on Sundays.

So there.

You people don't have anything open 24 hours?

Barbarians.

Syt

No. The church and unions forbid it. :weep:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2012, 06:19:17 AM
No. The church and unions forbid it. :weep:

Probably don't get free refills, either.

3rd worlders. :rolleyes:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2012, 06:20:06 AM
Probably don't get free refills, either.

3rd worlders. :rolleyes:

Not in restaurants (oaccasionally a breakfast place will have free coffee refills).

Some Micky D's have it. In one case, in an area frequented by our equivalent of dazzling urbanites (Turks/Kosovars/Romanians), they removed it again after a two weeks. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

On my commute to work today I sat among a group of Chinese delegates to the Preparatory Committee of the Non Proliferation Treaty of the UN Disarmament Organization.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I think I dropped 10 pounds in the can. Dear God, I never thought a man could shit that much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

You don't have the expression "I just shat a stone" over those parts?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I have yet to expel fecal matter today.

CountDeMoney

You bring great shame upon this coffee hut.

Syt

Went with a friend to the Byzantium exhibition at Schallaburg.

Considering they crammed 10 centuries worth of history into fifteen large living room sized rooms they did a good job. First couple of rooms were about the city, and life in it (trade, emperor, church, etc.). The last rooms were:
Byzantium vs. Sasanids
Byzantium vs. Awars
Byzantium vs. Bulgars
Byzantium vs. Seljuks
Byzantium vs. Ottomans
THE END

They had some nice pieces, especially some everyday notes and writs that I enjoyed, like a 9th century student's notebook, an error riddled student's dictation, and merchants' notes. My favorites from the "everyday" section would be:
- A papyrus with an order for building materials for the not yet built Cairo
- A retort of a goldsmith to an unhappy customer that none of his previous customers had any problems, that maybe he had the item repaired by an inferior craftsmen in the meantime and that it was not his fault. The accompanying note mentioned that the writ conatined "a lot of vulgar language and incorrect spelling". Some things seem universal. :lol:

Also plenty illuminated late medieval/renaissance scriptures, two Imperial decrees signed in Imperial purple, artifacts, coins, 1000+ year old textiles etc. The exhibits came from Austrian, German, Italian, Greek and Persian museums. (@DucquedeBraganca: saw some pieces that we missed at KHM/Neue Burg).

Good times, except for: "NO PHOTOS! NO PHOTOS!" So I bought the rather nice exhibition catalogue.  <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

My supermarket has 25% off all liquor today. I bought a bottle of Cragganmore and Laphroaig each. I still have two different shades of Connemara and one bottle of Lagavulin 15y, else I might have gotten a bottle of Ardbeg, too.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Flied for the first time of my life in a Dornier plane. :)

PDH

Did you terror bomb Rotterdam?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

I saw an Ide-approved woman in the street today. :x