Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2021, 09:08:10 PM
I wonder what was up with my neighbor, though. :unsure:
read the local papers? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I cut out caffeine several years ago - it made my hands shake too much.  I typically drink decaf coffee, though sometimes I splurge and get it with 1/4 regular.

They didn't have decaf this morning, so instead of just going with water I got a regular coffee, full strength. 

I feel like I'm almost drunk from the caffeine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2021, 03:07:03 PM
Have you been to the one in Cadaques? :)
I've been to his house in Cadaques and liked it. But I don't think you like Dali much after seeing it - the insane egotism of his partner's dressing room being entirely wall-papered with pictures of Dali sticks out in my mind.

And since I visited I've seen Brian Sewell's anecdote about his time in Cadaques :lol:
QuoteIs it true Salvador Dalí once asked you to masturbate for him while he took photographs?

Yes it's absolutely true [laughs]. Well, you do things because you can. He took me into the garden at the house at Cadaqués. He said: "I want to show you my Christ [sculpture]." And his Christ is an extraordinary thing: 60 or 70ft long and it's made of bricks and broken rubble and motorcar tyres. It's really quite clever. Um, and you step over it and walk about in it and then he just said: "I want to take a photograph. Lie down." Which I did in all my clothes and he said: "It might be better if you took your clothes off." And from there... And you know, I'm convinced I wasn't the first. I certainly wasn't the last and there was no film in the camera but it seemed grudging to refuse.

That's quite an anecdote.

Yes but there are probably men of my age now all over Germany, Switzerland, Spain, America, Canada and God knows where all telling the same story. Wankers for Dalí.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

For the first time ever I used one of those two wheeled shopping trolleys a couple of weeks ago; does that mean I'm on fashion or have I started the trend's slow death?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2021, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2021, 03:07:03 PM
Have you been to the one in Cadaques? :)
I've been to his house in Cadaques and liked it. But I don't think you like Dali much after seeing it - the insane egotism of his partner's dressing room being entirely wall-papered with pictures of Dali sticks out in my mind.

And since I visited I've seen Brian Sewell's anecdote about his time in Cadaques :lol:
QuoteIs it true Salvador Dalí once asked you to masturbate for him while he took photographs?

Yes it's absolutely true [laughs]. Well, you do things because you can. He took me into the garden at the house at Cadaqués. He said: "I want to show you my Christ [sculpture]." And his Christ is an extraordinary thing: 60 or 70ft long and it's made of bricks and broken rubble and motorcar tyres. It's really quite clever. Um, and you step over it and walk about in it and then he just said: "I want to take a photograph. Lie down." Which I did in all my clothes and he said: "It might be better if you took your clothes off." And from there... And you know, I'm convinced I wasn't the first. I certainly wasn't the last and there was no film in the camera but it seemed grudging to refuse.

That's quite an anecdote.

Yes but there are probably men of my age now all over Germany, Switzerland, Spain, America, Canada and God knows where all telling the same story. Wankers for Dalí.

Well, Dalí was a huge wanker, both literally and figuratively, so it's no surprise that he demanded it from others as well.  :P

The Brain

Today I prepared my balcony for summer.

The Brain

Today on the bus a gentleman with increasing urgency demanded his phone play Baby Jane by Rod Stewart. Eventually it did.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Admiral Yi

First day on the golf course.  9 holes.  1 blow up hole. 

I'll probably keep playing.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2021, 07:20:00 PM
First day on the golf course.  9 holes.  1 blow up hole. 

I'll probably keep playing.

Yi, just because they also have 'dimples' doesn't mean you can play golf with hand grenades.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

The Vero Beach Art Museum has an exhibit on Christo and Jeanne-Marie (the couple who wrapped buildings, bridges, islands and things like that.)  CB and I saw that over the past weekend.  While their work was ephemeral (and couldn't be put in a museum), the renditions and drawings still remain.  (In fact they financed their work by selling artist renditions and the like and took no grant money.)  That is what the exhibit focused on.

There was a fly on the wall style documentary about their piece "Umbrellas"; where they put up a number of giant blue umbrellas in Japan and giant yellow umbrellas in California.  Watching Christo was a riot; he's almost the perfectly stereotypical monomaniacal/egomaniacal artiste.  (This is my installation, I will decide when it is to be open.  No official or act of nature will influence my decision.)  Jeanne-Marie tended to fade into the background.  Even when she was on camera she came across as his sidekick and/or henchwoman depending on your point of view.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I still notice Christo-wrapped buildings regularly. It's kind of spooky, but I try not to think about it too much.