News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I have spent all day Easter Monday, and half the day of Good Friday (both holidays for me) in the office prepping a file that defence says his client is "probably" going to accept an offered deal on, currently set for trial on Wednesday. :grr:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2019, 09:07:03 AM
I just did my taxes. Took me 5 minutes in total. Thank you Swedish efficiency! :)

Nice. I so wish that the US had a much more stream lined system also!

Barrister

Bringing back the trailer from camping, I stopped at a small town gas station.  I looked for a snack, and saw to my surprise and horror that they were selling Crystal Pepsi!  Have they been sitting on this stock for the last 25 years?  Had I travelled back through space and time to the early 1990s?

Nope - turns out it's a limited release marketing thing, Canada only.

I didn't mind Crystal; Pepsi back in the day, actually.  But now I wonder if the power of the internet will one day convince Coke to bring back an even more 90s beverage: OK Soda.

Barrister

Funny I posted about Crystal Pepsi earlier - I now see that Coca-Cola is bring back, of all things, New Coke!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/enjoy-stranger-things-3-with-a-delicious-can-of-new-coke/

I remember that in the summer of 1985 we actually did a blind taste-test when out at the cottage: and the majority of people in our family actually preferred New Coke.  Which apparently was in-line with what national taste tests resulted in.  Yet the power of the Coke brand was so strong they had to bring back "Coke Classic" just a few months later.

HVC

isn't current coke just new coke? or is that a urban legend
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2019, 03:00:13 PM

IIRC current US and Canada Coke was reformulated "Classic" Coke so that it could be made with corn syrup rather than cane sugar.  Latin American (and maybe European :unsure:) Coca-Cola is still made with cane sugar.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

That's what I've heard.  My cousin's wife, who is a professor of flavors (or something like that) and does a lot of industry work on artificial flavors, told me after the New Coke outcry they went back to the old flavor but gradually over time changed it to the new taste without telling anyone.

KRonn

I keep ginger ale around, or even coca cola, sometimes for something different especially in hot weather. But I drink very little carbonated stuff over all.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2019, 05:04:39 PM

That's what I've heard.  My cousin's wife, who is a professor of flavors (or something like that) and does a lot of industry work on artificial flavors, told me after the New Coke outcry they went back to the old flavor but gradually over time changed it to the new taste without telling anyone.

Well that doesn't make any sense. These days there are like 20 different flavors and varieties of coke. They could easily sell both. The reason there was outcry before was because the way things worked back then they couldn't really have multiple varieties out there so they had to choose just one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

On my way home from work I saw police retrieve someone's body from the East River.  Not sure how a body make it to a place with a dozen piers or so without being spotted somewhere earlier, and it's not like anyone goes for a swim in the East River.

DGuller

Turns out it was a somewhat famous Youtuber who was suicidal and disappeared a week ago.

Savonarola

Yesterday I saw a Toyota Corolla with a rear window sticker of the Imperial Japanese Flag.  BANZAI!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2019, 09:53:28 PM
On my way home from work I saw police retrieve someone's body from the East River.  Not sure how a body make it to a place with a dozen piers or so without being spotted somewhere earlier, and it's not like anyone goes for a swim in the East River.

Cosmo Kramer does.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Played hockey last night.  My team doesn't win very many games, but we won this one: 6-1.

Most importantly I got two assists on the night.  The last one, on the power play, was a thing of beauty.  I play D, I see everyone's collapsing so I move forward into the slot.  Winger passes me the puck.  I have a good shot at the goalie.  I manage to get some lift on the puck, but probably not enough, but our center was parked in front of the goalie.  He manages to deflect the shot up over the goalie's glove.

I now have 4 points (all assists) for the season, putting me in a tie for 2nd place on the team. :cool:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.