And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2018, 07:54:32 AM
In a wonderfully careless manner, the gas meters of out apartment building (12 in total) are arranged on the outer walls of the building with everyone to have free access to them. Almost nobody bothered to properly label them.

When we moved in I was shown which one was ours and for sure, our flat number was penned on the information sticker of the meter. About a year ago or so I found this number to be gone and it seemed somebody put a fresh new sticker on the meter. I thought whatever.

Yesterday, as I looked at the gas meter for the first time in 3 months, I noticed somebody scribbled what seems to be a different appartment's number on our meter.  :huh:
This evening, I'll be knocking on that flat's door to see what's what.

I wish I had gas in my flat. I hate cooking on electric. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I immediately recognised the middle-aged lady who opened the door of the other flat: she's the one who doesn't speak English  :lol: I tried to explain myself, mostly so that anybody else "hiding" in the flat might come out to help but nothng of the sort happened.

So, well, I have tried. I've remembered that on a couple of occassions the boiler safety engineers went down to the meter and at least once shut it off and came back to check something, so it HAS to be ours.
I have now marked it such, and I consider the matter settled.

Barrister

So I'm on the road at a Crown conference, and I dug out my old Dell Inspiron laptop circa 2007 or so running Vista.

It's not entirely horrible, and it does still work to surf the web, but it's not an altogether enjoyable experience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I was wrong - this sucks.  Just trying to download and use Chrome (this laptop pre-dates Chrome) has caused two crashes.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2018, 08:26:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2018, 08:23:37 AM

:ph34r:

Is that really surprising from Dorsey?
Dude, I think it would be in your best interest to not remind everyone of your mad detective skills.

Eddie Teach

How so? What might he lose?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

garbon

Twice this past year I've called up the water company to ask about my bill as it suggests that I'm using a suspiciously low amount of water. When, I last called in August, my bill told me that they estimate I use one cubic meter of water in a year which is the equivalent of approximately 12 baths or 20 showers.

They informed me there was something wrong about access to the meter (which is somewhere under the sidewalk in the street) and they were sending a repair team to fix that.  Also, got an SMS about a week later telling me the work had been completed.

Fast forward to today and I got a bill that says I used no water between 25th of July and the 19th of September. :o I am being charged though the basic fixed charges to cover the costs of maintaining my account (£14.16!).

When, I called they ping ponged me between departments (for about 30 minutes) before declaring that they'd need to call me back in the next 10 days to arrange when someone could come to read the meter. Though they also read description that it is in the sidewalk, didn't listen to me when I said I don't even know where it is. I guess when the meter reading dept (?) phones perhaps I can ask them why I would need to be present for a sidewalk viewing?

I love how difficult it is to get it setup so that I don't end up one day with a large bill once they figure out all of the attendant back charges. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Garbon, that's an interesting development! No water use!

A gas meter reader came to read my meter and also to check it. About a year ago I was smelling gas around it, called the gas company and a technician came, found and fixed a leak.

I have an electrician coming Friday to do some minor work, changing/replacing some outlets inculding an outside shed outlet that I want to put in a safety type plug.

The Brain

Today I cleaned my apartment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2018, 05:27:58 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2018, 05:16:17 AM
That time of year again?

Yes. Leaves are falling.
You need to get some kind of a roof, that keeps the leaves out.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2018, 09:31:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2018, 05:27:58 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2018, 05:16:17 AM
That time of year again?

Yes. Leaves are falling.
You need to get some kind of a roof, that keeps the leaves out.

I should leave them out?