Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2018, 03:38:00 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 28, 2018, 02:37:13 PM
I find pots do the job.

Not only is the egg boiler convenient, I am also saving the planet.
What's the point of saving the planet if that means having to eat boiled eggs?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2018, 08:01:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2018, 03:38:00 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 28, 2018, 02:37:13 PM
I find pots do the job.

Not only is the egg boiler convenient, I am also saving the planet.
What's the point of saving the planet if that means having to eat boiled eggs?

Someone is jelly. Work hard and some day you too can afford an egg boiler.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Well they are an important component of egg salad and then I guess also a lovely topping on lettuce based salad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

And deviled eggs, the elite version of the hardboiled egg.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2018, 12:54:46 PM
Today I bought an egg boiler.

I like boiled eggs too. Once I bought a set of plastic thingys that you pour the eggs into to boil in a pot. Supposed to eliminate peeling the boiled eggs, which sometimes is messy as the shells stick. I never used them because they had multiple parts, had to be oiled before use to prevent sticking, and would be a mess to wash afterwards.

Anyways, I found a trick to boiling eggs that mostly eliminates the sticking shells and not being able to peel them. I get the water hot or boiling before putting the eggs in. Sometimes the egg will crack when put in but it still boils up ok. Doing that I rarely have a problem peeling the eggs.

The Brain

Quote from: KRonn on April 30, 2018, 03:06:58 PM

I like boiled eggs too. Once I bought a set of plastic thingys that you pour the eggs into to boil in a pot. Supposed to eliminate peeling the boiled eggs, which sometimes is messy as the shells stick. I never used them because they had multiple parts, had to be oiled before use to prevent sticking, and would be a mess to wash afterwards.

Anyways, I found a trick to boiling eggs that mostly eliminates the sticking shells and not being able to peel them. I get the water hot or boiling before putting the eggs in. Sometimes the egg will crack when put in but it still boils up ok. Doing that I rarely have a problem peeling the eggs.

I was worried that the shells might stick with the egg boiler. But when I use it the shells come off easier than garbon's clothes Saturday night. :)

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2018, 03:12:34 PM

I was worried that the shells might stick with the egg boiler. But when I use it the shells come off easier than garbon's clothes Saturday night. :)

Hmm, maybe an egg boiler is in my future. I got a rice steamer (steams veggies, etc. too) and I really like how the rice comes out in it.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2018, 03:12:34 PM

Well someone isn't a gentleman.

Eddie Teach

Did Brain kiss and tell?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Tonitrus

I have noticed that steaming eggs, vs. boiling them immersed in water, makes them easier to peel without the egg sticking to the inside of the shell and coming apart.

garbon

I recall that my mother and aunt one year went through all the various bits of wisdom on how to make easy to peel eggs for mass batches of devilled eggs. They found nothing that consistently worked. :(

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2018, 11:32:16 AM
I recall that my mother and aunt one year went through all the various bits of wisdom on how to make easy to peel eggs for mass batches of devilled eggs. They found nothing that consistently worked. :(

My understanding is that it mostly has to do with freshness - the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.

... but I don't remember where I read that, so maybe not.