News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Met a couple of drunk red-faced (sunburnt? booze? both?) Welshmen in the métro. There was room around them since ordinary French people are very easily scared. The more and more the drunker Welshman talked about football with (top 3 players in Europe), the less he seemed drunk. Actually, it was a better than expected métro trip. :) I understood more and more of the drunken Welsh accent after a while too. :)

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 20, 2016, 05:38:41 AM
Met a couple of drunk red-faced (sunburnt? booze? both?) Welshmen in the métro. There was room around them since ordinary French people are very easily scared. The more and more the drunker Welshman talked about football with (top 3 players in Europe), the less he seemed drunk. Actually, it was a better than expected métro trip. :) I understood more and more of the drunken Welsh accent after a while too. :)

A mutual learning experience? :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2016, 06:52:08 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 20, 2016, 05:38:41 AM

A mutual learning experience? :cheers:

:yes:

Duque de Bragança

Interesting conversation in the train to an EURO 2016 game. Belgians start discussing the TOP 5 Belgians of all time, both Walloons and Flemish (more on that later). Mostly footballers (Pfaff Preud'homme etc.), given the context, plus Hergé über alles for his contribution to bande dessinée. Guess who suggested Godefroi de Bouillon AND Léon Degrelle?  :lol: Everybody took it well though. Points for the Fleming who suggested le "bon roi Léopold" of Congo/Heart of Darkness fame. ;)

No mention of J(e)an Tserclaes, count of Tilly, or J(e)an Bart, both too linked to Bavaria and France in the later part of their career I suppose.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 24, 2016, 01:10:00 AM
Interesting conversation in the train to an EURO 2016 game. Belgians start discussing the TOP 5 Belgians of all time, both Walloons and Flemish (more on that later). Mostly footballers (Pfaff Preud'homme etc.), given the context, plus Hergé über alles for his contribution to bande dessinée. Guess who suggested Godefroi de Bouillon AND Léon Degrelle?  :lol: Everybody took it well though. Points for the Fleming who suggested le "bon roi Léopold" of Congo/Heart of Darkness fame. ;)

No mention of J(e)an Tserclaes, count of Tilly, or J(e)an Bart, both too linked to Bavaria and France in the later part of their career I suppose.

No Rubens, Magritte? :cry:

No Merckx?   :mad:

Duque de Bragança

Well, this was more about footballers in the beginning and got hijacked for the lulz, so don't worry.   :console:

Duque de Bragança

Yesterday in Lens, I thought I had finally discovered French football fans showing up  in town when their team is not playing like other teams' fans do to get a feeling of the atmosphere.
So the "French" started with the classic not-so brilliant football chant "on est chez nous" (This is our home!). No shit Sherlock!

Except the "French" were Belgians given their accents and jerseys. Claiming Lens and/or North France/Hauts-de-France/Artois whatever?  :hmm:

Lots of Germans (playing the day after in Lille not far away), Britons (WE trip for cheap booze before it's too late specially for people from Dover I spoke with), Croats (of course), even some Oranje fans and a kilt-wearing Scotsman. Again, I saw the Mexican showing up at various locations throughout the Euro too. Why is he always on the move? No tickets to Copa América? Hunted down and proscripted by Valmy if he sets foot on his own turf ?  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Last match day in Paris, obesity seemed to take quite a toll on German fans. Well, the men because most women were not afflicted. I guess they left them in Germany.

The Brain

Today I bought a winter jacket and turned out it came with a complimentary 1:18 scale Mercedes AMG GT! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2016, 12:26:06 PM
Today I bought a winter jacket and turned out it came with a complimentary 1:18 scale Mercedes AMG GT! :w00t:

Don't pretend you didn't buy it because you knew it'd come with a complimentary 1:18 scale Mercedes AMG GT.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on October 02, 2016, 05:58:58 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2016, 12:26:06 PM

Don't pretend you didn't buy it because you knew it'd come with a complimentary 1:18 scale Mercedes AMG GT.

Luckily I didn't hear about the car until my second time looking at the jacket when I had already decided to buy it.

The Brain

Today my bathtub wasn't draining very quickly so I used a plunger.

Tamas

You truly lead a life of adventure and excitement.

The Brain

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2017, 12:15:49 PM
Today my bathtub wasn't draining very quickly so I used a plunger.

Were you satisfied?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"