Main Menu

Ed reviews.....

Started by Ed Anger, April 18, 2010, 11:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

The Larch

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2011, 04:45:37 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2011, 04:43:30 AM
I still don't know even after looking him up at wiki, the only guy with a similar name is an oil well firefighter, but I doubt it is him who B was thinking of.  :P
Why the hell wouldn't you think it was him? He was an absolute hero when I was growing up.

It wasn't him who danced with Ginger Rogers you know.

Well, first I doubted it was him because his name didn't come up as you wrote it, but as Red Adair instead of Adaire, so I guessed it would have been some other guy. Then it's the fact that the guy was, of all things, an oil well firefighter. That's Discovery Channel material, some guy who is an absolute ace in a very obscure and extremely hazardous job, but not exactly prime time celebrity material.

Norgy

"Red" Adair is a major hero in Norway still. Back in the early days of deep sea oil drilling, there was a blowout and Red came and made it all go away. To boot, he was a charicature of an American, so he was much loved.

The Larch

Quote from: Norgy on April 18, 2011, 04:58:38 AM
"Red" Adair is a major hero in Norway still. Back in the early days of deep sea oil drilling, there was a blowout and Red came and made it all go away. To boot, he was a charicature of an American, so he was much loved.

Let's just say that oil well firefighting sounds like a very esoteric job for someone from a country where there's no oil drilling whatsoever.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on April 18, 2011, 04:58:38 AM
To boot, he was a charicature of an American a Texan, so he was much loved.

There ya go.

Norgy

In Norway, all Americans are Texans.  :uffda:

No Stetson? You not American!  :mad:

Brazen

He was regularly in the news in the 70 and came out of retirement to help stem the oilfield fires in the first Gulf war.

He was so famous, John Wayne played him in a film version of his life!

A real hero.

Caliga

:lol: My dad was in Norway with the US Navy during the Vietnam era and he said that Norwegians did constantly ask them stuff like "How big is your ranch?" and so on.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Denny's "Baconalia"

Since I was meeting some friends near a Denny's, they wanted to go eat there. I entered with some trepidation, as Denny's can give you the walking farts. And the walking shits.

I ordered the Bacon flapjacks, which was pancakes with Bacon in them. BIG FUCKING DEAL.

However, as I had expressed a revulsion to the advertised 'Bacon Sundae', a pool was quickly formed. I eat a bacon sundae, I get 200 bucks. I fail, and I have to get on the table and sing Ethel Merman showtunes. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Despite the sundae looking like vanilla ice cream with shit pieces on it, it wasn't bad. Plus I got 200 bucks.

Rating: Meh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Damn, I wish people were willing to pay me 200 hundred bucks to eat ice cream with bacon in it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

You know Ethel Merman show tunes?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2011, 07:09:37 PM

I am familiar with her music. CLANG CLANG GOES THE TROLLEY! CLANG CLANG GOES THE BELL!

A fan? no. Educated, yes. I am a jack of all trades.

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2011, 07:23:39 PM

I am familiar with her music. CLANG CLANG GOES THE TROLLEY! CLANG CLANG GOES THE BELL!

:huh:  Wasn't "The Trolley Song" Judy Garland's signature piece?  When I think of Merman I think of "No Business Like Show Business" and "Hello, Dolly."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 07:48:35 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2011, 07:23:39 PM

:huh:  Wasn't "The Trolley Song" Judy Garland's signature piece?  When I think of Merman I think of "No Business Like Show Business" and "Hello, Dolly."

:blush:

Josquius

This thread just got gayer than one of Martinus' threads.
██████
██████
██████