What was the best combat rifle ever in it's time?

Started by Strix, April 10, 2009, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the best combat rifle ever?

AK-47
M16
LEE-ENFIELD SMLE
M1 GARAND
FN FAL
MAUSER K98k CARBINE
STEYR AUG
1903 SPRINGFIELD
STURMGEWEHR 44
M14
The one between Jaron's legs

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2009, 05:16:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 03:44:10 PMI don't understand why the K98 is even in this poll.

Me neither.

QuoteThe PPSh-41 is probably the weapon to replace the K98 in this poll.

I'll see your PPSh, and raise you the .45 Thompson.
This poll is about combat rifles, not submachine guns.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 03:44:10 PMI don't understand why the K98 is even in this poll.

Me neither.

Go fuck yourself.  I voted for the M-14.

grumbler

If the StG 44 is being considered, the weapon it is designed to counter surely should be. One can be pedantic about rifling if one wants, but one would be mistaken to distinguish between weapons like that (as the MG-42 was rifled, and clearly beats out most - if not all - weapons in this poll as a difference-maker).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Me neither.

As someone who has fired a fully auto Tommy gun, I neg this.  Those things are cool, but shit for utility.  The Sten beats the Tommy, hands down.

On this poll, it's a toss-up between the Garand and the AK.  I guess I'll go with the AK.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

When you consider the purpose for which it was designed AND compare it to it's contemporary Rivals. (remember the M-16 was for trained infantry, while the AK-47 was for militia) I'd have to go for the M1-Garand. Apart from the little klink when it was out and it couldn't be topped up, it was still ideal for it's purpose AND it was superior to it's rivals in fulfilling it's role at it's time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

No love for the Lee Enfield?

The British Empire's weapon of choice in BOTH world wars, and continues in service in some countries to this day (including Canada, where they are used by the Canadian Rangers in the North)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2009, 07:10:27 PM

The British Empire's weapon of choice in BOTH world wars, and continues in service in some countries to this day (including Canada, where they are used by the Canadian Rangers in the North)?

Old SMELE was probably the best rifle of WWI and the interwar period.  But the AK is on a flag.  It turned the favor in colonial wars toward the natives.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2009, 07:10:27 PM

A great rifle for WW1, but distinctly inferior for WW2.  If we consider WW1 to be "its time" it is definitely a contender.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

The Enfield all the way. It helped the BEF slow the entire German army to a crawl.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

Quote from: Tyr on April 10, 2009, 08:15:47 PM
The Enfield all the way. It helped the BEF slow the entire German army to a crawl.

The Mad Minute was pretty impressive.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

derspiess

That takes out both the PPSh and the Thompson, then (this may be what you're saying, dunno).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 07:35:45 PM
A great rifle for WW1, but distinctly inferior for WW2. 

It was on par with most other rifles of the war.  Its design is not my cup of tea, but in the right hands it can deliver nearly as many aimed shots downrange as an M1 Garand.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 09:07:12 PM
It was on par with most other rifles of the war.  Its design is not my cup of tea, but in the right hands it can deliver nearly as many aimed shots downrange as an M1 Garand.
Nearly, and only in the right hands.  Damned by your own words.  :bowler:

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 03:44:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 03:40:03 PM
If we are going to go with the weapon that forced the greatest change in infantry tactics, then it is going to be whichever weapon was the precursor to the Civil War era rifled musket. That is what truly forced the change in basic infantry tactics to the model that we use today, if you want to limit things to combat arms.

Rifled cannon should get a good share of the credit as well, though it rarely does.

Yeah, but then we are moving out of the realm of the battle rifle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

I am not a gun expert, but I can't see the AK not winning this.

Sure, it has not been used in a world-wide conflict yet, but if you consider its relative efficiency with its ease of use and maintenance, and compare those to its contemporary rivals, nothing gets even close.

And if it would have been used in a world war, it would have come off as even more superior, because in an all-out prolonged war, you just can't beat numbers, and while you need to actually train people to use stuff like the M16, you just form your Brezhnev Jugend give them AKs and they are good to go.