What was the best combat rifle ever in it's time?

Started by Strix, April 10, 2009, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the best combat rifle ever?

AK-47
M16
LEE-ENFIELD SMLE
M1 GARAND
FN FAL
MAUSER K98k CARBINE
STEYR AUG
1903 SPRINGFIELD
STURMGEWEHR 44
M14
The one between Jaron's legs

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 02:58:18 PM
I'm sure they're still making 7.92x57 in ex-Yugoslavia, but do you think they would still be making 7.92 x33?? I can't imagine enough StG44's being functional enough to warrant continued production.

I believe they restarted production to supply mainly StG-44 owners in the States, they proberly cost an arm and a leg to import...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Berkut

M1 Garand.

For its time, it was the most useful battle rifle that was generally produced.

And its time happened to be the largest war in human history.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

I'm gonna go with the StG44, although it kinda shares the spotlight with the AK. The M1 was an incredibly versatile weapon, but tactics totally changed once individual soldiers could use automatics easily and reliably.

Actually, I voted the StG, but the AK really should have taken it. First successful, widespread, modular gun platform. Even the Dragunov SVD sniper rifle was initially built from the AK receiver, IIRC. Look at the operational role and variants that the M16 has enjoyed in the US military, and then look at the platform established by the Kalashnikov.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 02:38:54 PM
I've never heard anyone insist the AK-47 isn't based on the StG-44.  On the contrary, I swear I've read Kalashnikov plainly admitted the StG-44 was the design inspiration.  Didn't Red Army soldiers used to fight over captured StG-44's because they were so superior to any rifles in the Soviet arsenal? :blink:
Actually, on the History Channel episode on AK-47 many years ago, Kalashnikov was visibly irritated at the notion that AK-47 was inspired by StG-44, claiming that AK is a completely different weapon, and that similarities are only cosmetic.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2009, 03:31:26 PM
Actually, on the History Channel episode on AK-47 many years ago, Kalashnikov was visibly irritated at the notion that AK-47 was inspired by StG-44, claiming that AK is a completely different weapon, and that similarities are only cosmetic.

I think it bears repeating that Kalashnikov is a bit wacky, and prone to playing up the drama of the moment.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 03:34:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2009, 03:31:26 PM

I think it bears repeating that Kalashnikov is a bit wacky, and prone to playing up the drama of the moment.

I always thought he'd be fun as hell to kill a bottle or two of vodka with.  And since he has his own brand of vodka, he should be able to get it cheap.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 03:30:44 PM
I'm gonna go with the StG44, although it kinda shares the spotlight with the AK. The M1 was an incredibly versatile weapon, but tactics totally changed once individual soldiers could use automatics easily and reliably.

Did they?

I don't think so, to be honest. Small unit tactics did not change in any great manner between WW2 and Korea, for example. The existence of machine guns and repeating rifles had already forced the change to small unit, dispersed fire and maneuver tactics. Assault rifles did not really change that at all.

If we are going to go with the weapon that forced the greatest change in infantry tactics, then it is going to be whichever weapon was the precursor to the Civil War era rifled musket. That is what truly forced the change in basic infantry tactics to the model that we use today, if you want to limit things to combat arms.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 03:40:03 PM
Did they?

I don't think so, to be honest. Small unit tactics did not change in any great manner between WW2 and Korea, for example. The existence of machine guns and repeating rifles had already forced the change to small unit, dispersed fire and maneuver tactics. Assault rifles did not really change that at all.

If we are going to go with the weapon that forced the greatest change in infantry tactics, then it is going to be whichever weapon was the precursor to the Civil War era rifled musket. That is what truly forced the change in basic infantry tactics to the model that we use today, if you want to limit things to combat arms.
Squad defense and arrangement. the machine guns and rifles before were so bulky that you had to sort out the squad to cover the gunner. You've still got that to a lesser extent, but it's been relegated to armor and snipers, because SAWs and M-82s don't really lend themselves to "brandishing." :D
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 03:34:30 PM
In what way is he wacky?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 03:18:01 PM
M1 Garand.

For its time, it was the most useful battle rifle that was generally produced.

And its time happened to be the largest war in human history.
I would certainly argue that this was more signifciant a development than the StG 44, which after all came out "in its time" just long enough to prove insignificant.

Went with the AK-47, though.

I don't understand why the K98 is even in this poll.  Not even the Germans thought it a widely successful weapon, though they didn't replace it earlier mostly because their tactics shifted to the machine gun to compensate for their lack of a great combat rifle.

The PPSh-41 is probably the weapon to replace the K98 in this poll.  Though limited in its capabilities, it was the success of the PPSh-41 that convinced the Germans they needed a counter (which was the belatedly-appearing StG 44).

Had the StG 44 come out even a year earlier, it may have had "its time" to demonstrate its superior qualities.  Its tardiness, though, meant that it came out after "its time" IMO.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2009, 03:40:03 PM

Rifled cannon should get a good share of the credit as well, though it rarely does.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Btw, I saw the Argentine StG 44 prototype in el Museo de Armas de la Nacion in Buenos Aires-- didn't even know it existed beforehand.  Actually turned out to be a pretty impressive museum in general.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 03:44:10 PMI don't understand why the K98 is even in this poll.

Me neither.

QuoteThe PPSh-41 is probably the weapon to replace the K98 in this poll.

I'll see your PPSh, and raise you the .45 Thompson.