Volcano eruption in Iceland disrupts UK, Norwegian flights

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2010, 03:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2010, 09:39:34 AM
I say it's time we strike back.

Bomb us to the stone age!! please.... it would be progress!!!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Just watched the 10 Downing street briefing. They sounded like they were planning Dunkirk, part II.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Italy is preparing to surrender to the Ash Cloud and switch sides.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2010, 04:07:51 AM
LOL an entire plane of government officials crashes and now a volcanic ash cloud paralyzes airline communication in Europe.

If some political thriller writer used any of these events as a premise for one of his books, everyone would say it's a stretch.  :lol:

Chapter 1: The polish government dies in a crash in katyn forest.

Chapter 2: A volcano shuts down air travel in Europe, setting the stage for,

Chapter 3: One week later, everything is back to normal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2010, 07:02:56 AM
Yes, maybe only one in thousand flights would be affected, but apparently there are some 17,000 flights cancelled today.

Acceptable losses. If the 8th Air Force wasn't willing to fly with those odds, the Luftwaffe would still be patrolling Europe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Some German airlines seem to raise the question of who is going to pay for the - in their eyes - unnecessary flight bans.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Legbiter on April 18, 2010, 12:01:23 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2010, 09:39:34 AM
I say it's time we strike back.

Is Sweden still affected by the ash?

Apparently they plan to open ARN for some flights tomorrow morning.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2010, 02:53:00 PM
Some German airlines seem to raise the question of who is going to pay for the - in their eyes - unnecessary flight bans.

Pay? That's silly. You pay for flying, not not flying. I couldn't afford to stay at home otherwise.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on April 18, 2010, 12:55:02 PM
Just watched the 10 Downing street briefing. They sounded like they were planning Dunkirk, part II.
It's election time.  This sort of thing provides Brown an excuse to look all Prime Ministerial.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Europe jumps down the Pope's neck.  Pope prays for help.  God punishes Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2010, 02:53:00 PM

The airlines are. :lol:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

This is proving pretty chaotic at university.
The post-easter term is just starting up and loads of people are still stranded on their holiday trips elsewhere in Europe.
Wonder if the airline is covering their costs.
██████
██████
██████

Cecil

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2010, 03:55:16 PM
This is proving pretty chaotic at university.
The post-easter term is just starting up and loads of people are still stranded on their holiday trips elsewhere in Europe.
Wonder if the airline is covering their costs.

I´m guessing no.

Jaron

Germany and Russia are negotiating with the Ash Cloud to partition Poland while its government is crippled.
Winner of THE grumbler point.