Volcano eruption in Iceland disrupts UK, Norwegian flights

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2010, 03:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

I am wondering why no one has declared war on Iceland yet.  Surely ash ejection is a casus belli.

Zanza

Lufthansa and some other airlines made a couple of testflights in the the supposedly dangerous area and height and they did not find any damage to their planes. So now they question if this wholesale ban is really necessary.

Martinus

LOL an entire plane of government officials crashes and now a volcanic ash cloud paralyzes airline communication in Europe.

If some political thriller writer used any of these events as a premise for one of his books, everyone would say it's a stretch.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 18, 2010, 12:16:16 AM
I am wondering why no one has declared war on Iceland yet.  Surely ash ejection is a casus belli.
Can't bomb them :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on April 18, 2010, 03:14:09 AM
Lufthansa and some other airlines made a couple of testflights in the the supposedly dangerous area and height and they did not find any damage to their planes. So now they question if this wholesale ban is really necessary.

The ash seems to have seriously fucked up the engines of 5 F-18's from the Finnish airforce who flew through the ash cloud before their airspace closed though. That's a long way from Iceland.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, maybe only one in thousand flights would be affected, but apparently there are some 17,000 flights cancelled today.

Warspite

Apparently it turns out where ash has been a problem, it's been in cases where jets have inadvertently flown through the plume itself.  :lol:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on April 18, 2010, 07:00:21 AM
The ash seems to have seriously fucked up the engines of 5 F-18's from the Finnish airforce who flew through the ash cloud before their airspace closed though. That's a long way from Iceland.
They should have waited the full 28 days.

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2010, 07:02:56 AM
Yes, maybe only one in thousand flights would be affected, but apparently there are some 17,000 flights cancelled today.

It should help if the UK got a decent amount of rain. So, pray to Odin for it to rain in the UK?  :huh: :lol:

Caliga

I'm sure the reason for the ban is because there was an incident in IIRC the 1970s where a British Airways 747 happened to fly over an erupting volcano in Indonesia and the ash plume flamed out all of its engines.  They did manage to get enough of them restarted to manage to land safely, but the plane lost a lot of altitude first and it was basically a race against time for the crew.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on April 18, 2010, 07:26:47 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2010, 07:02:56 AM

It should help if the UK got a decent amount of rain. So, pray to Odin for it to rain in the UK?  :huh: :lol:
No.  We're enjoying really lovely sunny weather right now (I'm about to go to the park) and frankly I'd rather have sun than international travel.

"ASH OVER CHANNEL: CONTINENT CUT OFF"
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I think it would be rather good if volcanic ash stopped all future travel by jet aircraft. It is a shitty method of travel that smears out the differences between places because it is too cheap and quick. Zeppelins, luxuriously appointed trains and great passenger liners would be far preferable  :cool:

Legbiter

Huh, and now the geophysicists are back to being pessimistic about when the volcano will settle down and stop farting in Europe's general direction.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.