The Netherlands worries about a Venezuelan invasion of the Dutch Antilles

Started by jimmy olsen, April 15, 2010, 01:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 02:46:31 PM
If Venezuela and Holland got into a vigorous war, would anyone even notice?
I  imagine they'd get a white peace after 5 years or so.

Mr.Penguin

Only becourse it would effect the oil piece...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Camerus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 15, 2010, 02:12:29 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 15, 2010, 09:01:28 AM
My inner amoral aesthete hopes it does happen.  I'd love a good war right about now.  Especially if it were just Holland vs. Venezuela, vigorously going at it.    :licklips:

I'm not sure if they're capable of vigorously going at it

Probably not, but then my statement was more of an idle flight of fancy rather than a sober appreciation of reality.    :sleep:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 15, 2010, 08:58:19 AM
Which reminds me: when disaster struck our region of Madeira this year, Venezuela was among the first nations to send in rescue teams.

Where were our "other" allies, the US?
:weep:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 15, 2010, 09:01:28 AM
My inner amoral aesthete hopes it does happen.  I'd love a good war right about now.  Especially if it were just Holland vs. Venezuela, vigorously going at it.    :licklips:

They wanna increase ratings they need Dutch and Venezuelan chicks to have vigorous sex.
PDH!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 15, 2010, 06:03:16 PM
Probably not, but then my statement was more of an idle flight of fancy rather than a sober appreciation of reality.    :sleep:

We'd have to give them both time to build up before an official start to the festivities.  Let the Dutch transport their air force down there so they can fight the Sukhois and give the Venezuelans time to build a raft flotilla to float their army to Curacao

derspiess

If Chavez attacks right at the same time the US is invading The Hague, he might pull it off :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on April 15, 2010, 03:14:09 PM

This post would make the dutch from 300 years ago cry.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on April 15, 2010, 03:38:14 AM
Last time I checked, the Dutch had a pretty good record at fighting Spanish-speaking peoples at sea.  Liever Turks dan Paaps!

And they got their wish didn't they?  :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 15, 2010, 08:02:56 AM
Taking into account that the UK has even proposed closer military ties with France because it lacks the funds to do much by itself, I suppose the Dutch wouldn't even be able to afford sending a battalion there.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5355872,00.html

The "strength" of the democracies is OSSUM. Every year they get stronger. Heck, France is now trying to get close ties with Germany, so that the triple UK/France/Germany group might be able to, say, do about 5% of what the UK could do by itself in 1940.

As for the Dutch Antilles, they're quite wealthy on a per capita basis. As rich as anything in Europe, which is a lot more than South America/The Caribbean. They would make a good picking, but I doubt Venezuela would try it - it lacks a significant navy, only has some obsolecent destroyers.

Unless the locals are planning to declare independence. Then I think the Dutch would cave and let them go. Those wankers learned their lesson in Indonesia.

I bet Martim stroked himself off thinking about how weak the Democracies are.

'Oh yes...France and the UK...so weak...OH MY CASTRO'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 15, 2010, 08:02:56 AM
The "strength" of the democracies is OSSUM. Every year they get stronger. Heck, France is now trying to get close ties with Germany, so that the triple UK/France/Germany group might be able to, say, do about 5% of what the UK could do by itself in 1940.
There is a difference in military spending during peacetime and total war? :o

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on April 15, 2010, 08:39:50 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 15, 2010, 03:14:09 PM

This post would make the dutch from 300 years ago cry.

It would make the dutch from 60 years ago proud.