The Netherlands worries about a Venezuelan invasion of the Dutch Antilles

Started by jimmy olsen, April 15, 2010, 01:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 15, 2010, 08:02:56 AM
The "strength" of the democracies is OSSUM. Every year they get stronger. Heck, France is now trying to get close ties with Germany, so that the triple UK/France/Germany group might be able to, say, do about 5% of what the UK could do by itself in 1940.
To be fair, th e chance that the 1940 UK will invent a time machine and declare war on 2010 Britain, France, and Germany is fairly remote, so the three can probably be forgiven for not maintaining the numbers of Bren gun carriers necessary to  defeat that threat.   :bowler: :frog: :ccr
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on April 15, 2010, 08:12:07 AM
I wonder if this would trigger a NATO response? Given Chavez's antics which have isolated him more so, at least from much of the rest of the world, outside his sphere of friends and like minded regimes.

I thought NATO doesn't apply to european possessions in the new world? I could be wrong though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

I thought NATO doesn't apply to european possessions in the new world? I could be wrong though.
Even if it doesn't officially fall under the letter of the NATO agreement its still a hostile to the US power invading without cause a US ally.
The UN would condemn it and ask for intervention let alone NATO.
Which is pretty much why it won't happen.

Taking into account that the UK has even proposed closer military ties with France because it lacks the funds to do much by itself, I suppose the Dutch wouldn't even be able to afford sending a battalion there.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5355872,00.html

The "strength" of the democracies is OSSUM. Every year they get stronger. Heck, France is now trying to get close ties with Germany, so that the triple UK/France/Germany group might be able to, say, do about 5% of what the UK could do by itself in 1940.

As for the Dutch Antilles, they're quite wealthy on a per capita basis. As rich as anything in Europe, which is a lot more than South America/The Caribbean. They would make a good picking, but I doubt Venezuela would try it - it lacks a significant navy, only has some obsolecent destroyers.
Franco-British integration would be damn cool.

Unless the locals are planning to declare independence. Then I think the Dutch would cave and let them go. Those wankers learned their lesson in Indonesia.
No way.
Let free people, meant to be under the protection of the Dutch queen, be conquered by a hostile aggressive regime?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2010, 08:31:49 AM
It wouldn't fly with the US anyway. NATO or No NATO.

Don't be so sure. We are still upset about Natalie Hollaway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2010, 08:29:00 AM
Even if it doesn't officially fall under the letter of the NATO agreement its still a hostile to the US power invading without cause a US ally.
The UN would condemn it and ask for intervention let alone NATO.
Which is pretty much why it won't happen.

Taking into account that the UK has even proposed closer military ties with France because it lacks the funds to do much by itself, I suppose the Dutch wouldn't even be able to afford sending a battalion there.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5355872,00.html

As for the Dutch Antilles, they're quite wealthy on a per capita basis. As rich as anything in Europe, which is a lot more than South America/The Caribbean. They would make a good picking, but I doubt Venezuela would try it - it lacks a significant navy, only has some obsolecent destroyers.
Franco-British integration would be damn cool.

Indeed :bowler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco%E2%80%93British_Union#World_War_II_.281940.29
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

I wonder if this would trigger a NATO response? Given Chavez's antics which have isolated him more so, at least from much of the rest of the world, outside his sphere of friends and like minded regimes.

Opposite to the portrait the US media tries to paint of him, Chavez is far from isolated and indeed has many friends outside Latin America. Portugal, for one. Even last month we promised to reinforce billateral ties.

http://tv1.rtp.pt/noticias/index.php?t=Portugal-e-Venezuela-querem-reforcar-relacoes-em-todos-os-dominios---Amado.rtp&article=329163&layout=10&visual=3&tm=8

Which reminds me: when disaster struck our region of Madeira this year, Venezuela was among the first nations to send in rescue teams.

Where were our "other" allies, the US?

Camerus

My inner amoral aesthete hopes it does happen.  I'd love a good war right about now.  Especially if it were just Holland vs. Venezuela, vigorously going at it.    :licklips:

DGuller

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 15, 2010, 08:58:19 AM
Opposite to the portrait the US media tries to paint of him, Chavez is far from isolated and indeed has many friends outside Latin America. Portugal, for one. Even last month we promised to reinforce billateral ties.
Opposite to the way you think, US media has not portrayed him as isolated.  The fact that you promised to "reinforce billateral [sic] ties" (whatever that means) would not surprise users of the US media.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Did Portugal need US (or Canadian) help?

Generally in a first world country (I know Portugal is pushing it, but still) we generally don't require outside assistance.  :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 15, 2010, 09:01:28 AM
My inner amoral aesthete hopes it does happen.  I'd love a good war right about now.  Especially if it were just Holland vs. Venezuela, vigorously going at it.    :licklips:

I'm not sure if they're capable of vigorously going at it

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 15, 2010, 09:01:28 AM

If Venezuela and Holland got into a vigorous war, would anyone even notice?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

http://tv1.rtp.pt/noticias/index.php?t=Portugal-e-Venezuela-querem-reforcar-relacoes-em-todos-os-dominios---Amado.rtp&article=329163&layout=10&visual=3&tm=8

Which reminds me: when disaster struck our region of Madeira this year, Venezuela was among the first nations to send in rescue teams.

On vacation in the Azores  :showoff:
Winner of THE grumbler point.