New title - help me find a laptop

Started by Barrister, April 14, 2010, 01:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I was going to get my wife an iPad (she hates our 3 year old Dell laptop which for some bizarre reason refuses to open up Facebook anymore), but since they're rather delayed I guess I should look at something else.

So I'm looking for a smallish laptop, but good quality.  Main uses are surfing the web, playing casual games, playing DVDs.  I'm not going to be too worked up over specifications, but I would want something that's not loaded with crapware and has a solid build quality.  Probably stay away from netbooks though, as laptop prices are affordable enough.

Any suggestions?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Every five seconds it seems there's another laptop promo at Tigerdirect.com

I got Princesca a very nice Acer laptop from there last summer.  I think it was $400.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

How are Acers - I've never owned one.  Certainly they are cheap.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2010, 06:24:49 PM
How are Acers - I've never owned one.  Certainly they are cheap.

Mine's working fine.  Hard drive a little slow, but it plays EU3 well, HOI3 almost acceptably.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Meh - MacBook Pros are OSSUM (and new models announced this week), but the base MacBook has struck me as overpriced.  The Pros are very nice, with premium products and a price tag to match.

This looks tempting...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5705551&sku=M455-13001&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2006-_-CatId_17_M455-13001

Barrister

Grey Fox

It's an alright laptop, I guess. Small screen tho.

derspiess

It depends of course on what you want to do with it, but perhaps you should consider an iPad.  It's pretty much designed to be a second computer around the home...

:D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

But seriously, if you can find a decently-priced one, go for a laptop that has a Core i3 processor.  The on-die GPU (meaning it is pretty much a third core on the processor that is dedicated to graphics) is tailor-made IMO for laptops or home theater PCs.  It handles HD video and light gaming like a champ, and consumes very little power in comparison to a dedicated graphics card.

If I were getting Frau Spiess a good laptop that would more or less be a desktop replacement for her, I'd get her something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5571656&Sku=T78-15611

But since she wouldn't use but 20% of that laptop's potential, I'm going super-cheap & getting her something like this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326326
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Ah, but speiss, I was trying to find something that was an iPad replacement - something light, and around that $500 price point.  The first laptop you pointed to was twice the weight of the one I had picked out.

But I'm going to put this on hold - we just bought a $9000 trailer last night.

Grey Fox

Barrister

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 12:24:20 PM
To go camping in with the baby?  :huh:

That's a good reason. It could also serve you on work trip to Ross River.

but I didn't know what kind of trailer you bought.

Barrister

I posted a link in the OTT thread, but here it is:

http://yukon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-Bonair-ultra-light-travel-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ198308994

The plan is we're taking a month, driving south and visiting family.  Since we'll have a month old baby we'll be going really, really slowly, so a trailer seemed like a good idea.