News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Damn, it's not 2012 yet!

Started by Alexandru H., April 14, 2010, 12:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

QuoteChina earthquake kills hundreds in Qinghai

At least 300 people have died and others are trapped under rubble after a magnitude-6.9 earthquake struck China's Qinghai province, officials say.
The powerful tremor hit remote Yushu county, 500km south-west of provincial capital Xining, at 0749 (2349 GMT).
Chinese TV showed wrecked buildings and people scrabbling through debris, as the government began a rescue misssion.
Yushu is hundreds of miles from an airport, and it is thought rescue crews may take time to reach the quake zone.
"Soldiers have been dispatched to save the people buried in the collapsed houses," local official Huang Limin was quoted as saying by China's state news agency Xinhua.

A Yushu resident told Reuters news agency rescuers were trying to pull survivors from buildings.
"A lot of one-storey houses have collapsed. Taller buildings have held up, but there are big cracks in them," he said.
One official told journalists more than 85% of buildings near the epicentre had collapsed.
The official added that "a lot of students" had been buried after part of a vocational school collapsed.
Many of the buildings in Yushu were though to be made from wood.
<_<

citizen k

This is nothing compared to what's going to happen in 2012.  :tinfoil: :pope: :Joos :area52: :cthulu:

jimmy olsen

Man this has been an awful year for earthquakes.

Victims RIP :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 01:41:44 AM
Man this has been an awful year for earthquakes.

Really? I thought they have been doing pretty well.  :huh:

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2010, 02:01:01 AM
Really? I thought they have been doing pretty well.  :huh:

He'll be here all week. Try the kielbasa and dumplings.

Jaron

I don't quite understand the term "Rest in peace".

I mean , is there something that is causing a great disturbance to the dead that we need to wish it away with positive thoughts?

Are earthquake victims rising up as zombies somewhere?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on April 14, 2010, 02:56:21 AM
I don't quite understand the term "Rest in peace".

I mean , is there something that is causing a great disturbance to the dead that we need to wish it away with positive thoughts?

Are earthquake victims rising up as zombies somewhere?

Heaven = peaceful, Hell = wailing and gnashing of teeth
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Are we really sure it's an earthquake, not a Japanese nuclear strike? :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2010, 07:10:33 AM
Are we really sure it's an earthquake, not a Japanese nuclear strike? :hmm:
The Japanese would have struck Peking, Shanghai and Nanking with atomics.

Shit, given an adequate supply of plutonium, I would strike those places with atomics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Peking?

Dude, we been calling it Beijing since the 80s.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Bei area? That's in California.

Pekin.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2010, 08:39:44 AM
Peking?

Dude, we been calling it Beijing since the 80s.
Peking.  Bombay.  Calcutta.  All you Renamers In The Name of Cultural Sensitivity or Caring About How Non-Anglophones Pronounce City Names In Their Countries-types can go to hell.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.