News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Piece of shit SEIU prezidizzle to quit

Started by Caliga, April 13, 2010, 07:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

How centralized is the SEIU organization anyway? They certainly made some strategic mistakes sending heavies to town hall meetings and such recently. I'd rather think those bad pr effects were more the result of over-zealous local idiots than orders coming from the top to do things that would obviously backfire on them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2010, 07:19:40 AM
His goons spent years trying to organize the medical center I worked at in Boston.  He himself came up several times but I never saw him or anything.

They basically ruined Yale's medical center a few years before, so when we heard they were coming to town we were: less than pleased.  They made all of management take a bunch of classes to learn how to deal with union organizers and what to say/not to say to them.  I used to see those pricks walking around annoying people, including a chick that worked for me at one point.  Fortunately, she was anti-union so I did not need to fire her. :)

I don't know if they were ultimately successful or not as I left to move down here, but as of the time of my relocation they had not succeeded yet.

Reduce your ability to push people around.  I understand.  It is the natural desire of all people to discharge their will onto others.  That's why so many people hate big corporations, unions, and government. The idea that someone could step in and prevent them must be so emasculating.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

IIRC Stern was featured in some of the attack ads, so one assumes he approved of the approach, at least insofar as their efforts to organize Boston's hospital workers go.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2010, 01:36:29 PM
How centralized is the SEIU organization anyway? They certainly made some strategic mistakes sending heavies to town hall meetings and such recently. I'd rather think those bad pr effects were more the result of over-zealous local idiots than orders coming from the top to do things that would obviously backfire on them.
Again, though, that speaks to bureaucratic decision-making.  Why would locals do things that hurt themselves?  Because they think their boss wants that, and they would rather please the boss than serve the nominal interests of the organization, because their boss has such a major say in their promotion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 13, 2010, 01:34:20 PM
QuoteWell, I'm not merely a smart person, I'm also an intellectually curious person

Humble also.

Be honest, what can humility afford you?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2010, 02:19:31 PM
QuoteWell, I'm not merely a smart person, I'm also an intellectually curious person

Humble also.

In Soviet Russia, humility can afford you!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 01:44:23 PM
Reduce your ability to push people around.  I understand.  It is the natural desire of all people to discharge their will onto others.  That's why so many people hate big corporations, unions, and government. The idea that someone could step in and prevent them must be so emasculating.
With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :)

DGuller

Humble also.
I'm indeed very humble.  If I weren't humble, I wouldn't be describing myself as merely smart.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2010, 03:23:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 01:44:23 PM
With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :)

Really?  You already expressed a desire to fire someone because they displeased you and then displayed sorrow that you didn't have the power to do so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2010, 03:27:00 PM
I'm indeed very humble.  If I weren't humble, I wouldn't be describing myself as merely smart.

Perhaps gifted but certainly not talented.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2010, 03:20:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2010, 02:19:31 PM

Humble also.

In Soviet Russia, humility can afford you!

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2010, 02:14:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2010, 01:36:29 PM
Again, though, that speaks to bureaucratic decision-making.  Why would locals do things that hurt themselves?  Because they think their boss wants that, and they would rather please the boss than serve the nominal interests of the organization, because their boss has such a major say in their promotion.
And this is compounded by the fact that now their bosses make every major decision for them.  Discretion is a thing of the past for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2010, 05:24:33 PM
And this is compounded by the fact that now their bosses make every major decision for them.  Discretion is a thing of the past for them.
That's pretty much the nature of bureaucratic thinking.  :(

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 03:35:38 PM
Really?  You already expressed a desire to fire someone because they displeased you and then displayed sorrow that you didn't have the power to do so.
I was joking.  She was a great employee, and had I really wanted to I could have fired her, I guess, but she never gave me any reason to do so.

It's certainly true that unions make it more difficult to fire people, getting back to your earlier point.  Where I would differ is whether or not that's a bad thing.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2010, 05:03:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 03:35:38 PM
I was joking.  She was a great employee, and had I really wanted to I could have fired her, I guess, but she never gave me any reason to do so.

It's certainly true that unions make it more difficult to fire people, getting back to your earlier point.  Where I would differ is whether or not that's a bad thing.
Varies I guess.  Took years to get rid of a useless boozehound (he'd get drunk in the parking lot during lunch) who never did any work.  In the end he got early retirement instead of the termination he deserved.

On the other hand they almost certainly do offer some protection or at least arbitration to those who don't get along with their bosses and are unfairly fired or punished.
PDH!