Muslims 'Greet' Returning British Troops on Parade

Started by derspiess, March 10, 2009, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Then how did you know there were no Muslims telling the idiots to STFU? (or thinking it more likely, it is very difficult to shout down people when the Police keep the groups well apart as they are trained to do)
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Berkut

Quote from: Map Sucks on March 11, 2009, 09:30:09 AM
Then how did you know there were no Muslims telling the idiots to STFU? (or thinking it more likely, it is very difficult to shout down people when the Police keep the groups well apart as they are trained to do)

I don't recall saying I knew there weren't any - hence the '?' in my post.

However - one might suspect that if some local Muslim groups HAD shown up, it would be noted. If some local Muslim leadership had spoken out, perhaps that might be noted as well. Perhaps not - and hence the question.

I can only assume from the vehemence and angst of your posts that in fact you ahve more information than I do, and in fact such things did occur. Please share your source with us.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2009, 09:32:12 AM

However - one might suspect that if some local Muslim groups HAD shown up, it would be noted. If some local Muslim leadership had spoken out, perhaps that might be noted as well. Perhaps not - and hence the question.

I can only assume from the vehemence and angst of your posts that in fact you ahve more information than I do, and in fact such things did occur. Please share your source with us.

I don't think they'd really have the chance.
This wasn't a big  muslim event- just the group of idiots decided to go and protest the troops return. Those who were there to celebrate their returning were those who had a active interest in the army. To muslims in general it was a pretty irrelevant event unless they fell under one of the two other groups.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 11, 2009, 08:55:32 AM
I don't know - are they?

And also I want to say I FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD. I HATE HOW QUOTING LOOKS. THIS IS FUCKING PISSING ME OFF. FOR FUCKS SAKE.
Crop your quotes, faggot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Are there Christian groups showing up at every Christian fundamentalist anti-gay or kill-abortion-doctors protest to show their disagreement?

DisturbedPervert

If some mooslim counter protesters had shown up, the media would be falling all over themselves to report it.

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on March 11, 2009, 09:37:28 AM

This wasn't a big  muslim event- just the group of idiots decided to go and protest the troops return. Those who were there to celebrate their returning were those who had a active interest in the army. To muslims in general it was a pretty irrelevant event unless they fell under one of the two other groups.

So it is safe to say that the "typical" Muslims cant' be bothered to organize and protest or even speak out except for a few who will go and act like nutjobs.

Which is why people think they are, at best, accepting of the views of the radicals. Because they do not speak out against them, and when they do, it is mostly along the lines of "Well, those guys do not represent Muslims, but they do have a point..."

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 11, 2009, 09:40:14 AM
Are there Christian groups showing up at every Christian fundamentalist anti-gay or kill-abortion-doctors protest to show their disagreement?

I am not sure...though that sounds sort of like fun.  I should see about organizing one.

The problem is the last time I was aware in advance of a anti-gay Christian rally it was the pray for the California prop thing.  It is not like the picket gay bars or something.

Americans just do not protest enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

I remained a shade unconvinced your original question was not rhetorical, but no matter.

I don't know how prominent the local Muslim leadership in Luton is, and whether the press sought their reaction. I have seen neither remarks from them, nor indication that they declined to comment.

What I do know is the difficulty of having a meaningful Muslim organisation in the UK. While it is convenient for many White Christians to apply that template to the brown folk, anyone who scratches the surface of the Muslim community in the UK learns quickly taht the real distinctions are between Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Indian, Lebanese, Syrian etc etc.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on March 11, 2009, 09:40:14 AM

You see lots of counter-protesters actually, it isn't uncommon. And since most Americans are Christians, walla! There you go.

But on the other hand, I don't think there is a general perception problem where it appears like most typical Christians are supportive or tolerant of the Phelps-like assholes. So it isn't really analogous.

Everyone know that Phelps and his kind represent a radical extreme that your average Christian does not support in any way. I don't think that is the case with Muslims. Plus Islam has a much larger perception problem since the difference between some moderate Muslims who were born in the US/UK/West and some "moderate" Muslims who are recent immigrants is rather striking.

0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2009, 09:42:22 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 11, 2009, 09:37:28 AM

So it is safe to say that the "typical" Muslims cant' be bothered to organize and protest or even speak out except for a few who will go and act like nutjobs.

Which is why people think they are, at best, accepting of the views of the radicals. Because they do not speak out against them, and when they do, it is mostly along the lines of "Well, those guys do not represent Muslims, but they do have a point..."

Thats pretty representative of average non-muslim people too.
There are some vocal anti-extremist muslims though.
And...yes. I'd imagine many will see these protesters as having a point. Not just in the muslim community but in the general community a majority of people are anti-war. The war is bad, we should pull out asap, blah blah, etc.... Most people will agree with that.
However; attacking the soldiers for just doing their job is a bad thing.
There would be (and isn't when it happens) no problem with muslim anti-war protests. Its just here they've gone beyond that and had a go at some good, honest men who were just doing what the country (for right or wrong) told them. I'm sure the majority of muslims with an ounce of sense would agree with me there.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Map Sucks on March 11, 2009, 09:44:16 AM
I remained a shade unconvinced your original question was not rhetorical, but no matter.

I don't know how prominent the local Muslim leadership in Luton is, and whether the press sought their reaction. I have seen neither remarks from them, nor indication that they declined to comment.

What I do know is the difficulty of having a meaningful Muslim organisation in the UK. While it is convenient for many White Christians to apply that template to the brown folk, anyone who scratches the surface of the Muslim community in the UK learns quickly taht the real distinctions are between Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Indian, Lebanese, Syrian etc etc.

Hmmm, but apparently the radicals can manage to organize well enough to have these little protests. Once would think the non-radical could orgnaize enough to issue a press release or something saying "Hey, those assholes are just that - assholes. They don't represent us, we think they are morons, and we support the troops who went and died to try to make things better in other countries".

I reject the idea that their silence is somehow mandatory, and ONLY the radicals can possibly be heard.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on March 11, 2009, 09:47:02 AMI'm sure the majority of muslims with an ounce of sense would agree with me there.

That may very well be true - but they apparently won't say so publicly. And when they do, it is is with an ounce of agreement, and a few pounds of equivocation.

0 rows returned

Warspite

Actually, that's a common feature in comparing collective action between groups. Extremists are more organised because they're more energised and coherent. That's why radicals often hijack political agendas, whether the activity be malicious like planting bombs or relatively benign like campaigning against sex and violence on TV.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: Map Sucks on March 11, 2009, 09:51:29 AM
Actually, that's a common feature in comparing collective action between groups. Extremists are more organised because they're more energised and coherent. That's why radicals often hijack political agendas, whether the activity be malicious like planting bombs or relatively benign like campaigning against sex and violence on TV.

Well...usually but if we were in a position where the extremists were hijacking our entire society I bet we would be more energised and coherent.  We are not doing anything because we do not feel like radicals are doing anything very serious to our society.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."