And we're back!

Main Menu

Justice Stevens Retires

Started by jimmy olsen, April 09, 2010, 10:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2010, 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2010, 06:05:39 PM
I really think the Supreme Court should have term limits (or, like Cardinals, a retirement age).  
Probably true, but that train left the station when the Constitution was written.  Trying to get a constitutional amendment over this issue (when it has never been an issue) is impossible.  Maybe someday, when the issue actually becomes an issue, it can be raised.

QuoteI mean Stevens, God bless him, probably should retire at 90 but I think it sort of cheapens it when Justices hold out for a President with whom they are generally sympathetic or retire when that's the case.  But also he was appointed by Ford.  Surely 35 years in a highly important and influential position is more than enough :mellow:
Surely Stevens agrees that he has been on the bench long enough.  He is, after all, retiring when he could have set a record in just a few years, and is in excellent health (still playing tennis daily when the court isn't in session or he can squeeze in a game).  The argument that Justices should not be allowed to retire on their own terms seems short-sighted, as in "you cannot retire now because it would allow a President whom you think will appoint a justice you agree with to nominate your successor."  Why have justices serving when they don't want to? :mellow:

The fact that appointments to Federal judgeships are for life (or until voluntary retirement) has never been an issue with regards to the Supreme Court, but there have been a few problems with other Federal courts.  A few judges have gone senile.  Of course, a set term length (with a long term, such as the 18 years suggested in this thread) wouldn't necessarily prevent that from happening to a Supreme Court justice, especially considering that they're mostly well into middle age by the time they are appointed.

Barrister

Our Supreme Court judges must retire by age 75.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.