Should citizens with a permanent residence in a different country vote?

Started by Martinus, April 09, 2010, 01:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 09, 2010, 03:39:55 AM
Citizens should be allowed to vote.  You can change the citizenship laws to not allow dual citizenship.

One doesn't need to have dual citizenship to reside permanently in a country they are not a citizen of.  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on April 09, 2010, 03:36:05 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2010, 02:49:56 AM
Never really thought about it. They're such a small percentage of the electorate it doesn't really matter. I can see how it'd be seen as a problem in a country people are fleeing however.  :P
It's a problem as it is virtually impossible to assign them to a constituency.

Here all emigrants are assigned to the Warsaw voting district (which as you can imagine can actually influence the results).

Obviously this is less of an issue in Presidential elections.

Unlike Spain, at least local elections are not affected, as you need to be a permanent resident of a relevant municipality/county/voivodship to be able to vote.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 04:29:17 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 09, 2010, 03:39:55 AM
Citizens should be allowed to vote.  You can change the citizenship laws to not allow dual citizenship.

One doesn't need to have dual citizenship to reside permanently in a country they are not a citizen of.  :huh:

Second or third generation emigrees would hold dual citizenship due to where they were born, wouldn't they? And besides, I think this was more aimed at the Larch's complaint since he brought up the multi-generational issue.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Alexandru H.

Gays shouldn't vote and that's a fact. Since a gay doesn't reproduce, he has no interest in the future of the nation so he's more likely to vote for immediate advantages that would burden future generations. In the same way as old people.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Alexandru H. on April 09, 2010, 04:53:53 AM
Gays shouldn't vote and that's a fact. Since a gay doesn't reproduce, he has no interest in the future of the nation so he's more likely to vote for immediate advantages that would burden future generations. In the same way as old people.

Not to mention, any person of voting age is fast approaching old age in gay years.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 01:42:54 AM
Do you think people with your country's nationality/citizenship, who have a permanent place of residence in a different country, be allowed to vote in national elections in your country?

Citizens? Sure why not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Americans pay taxes on income earned abroad, which is a total crock but there you go, so they have just as much right to vote in an election as I do.  Furthermore tons of Americans get sent abroad by their government or company to do legitimate Yanqui Imperialist Pigdog business and shouldn't be punished for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Which is why I used the word "permanent". I thought it doesn't mean "temporary", Valmy.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 11:02:55 AM
Which is why I used the word "permanent". I thought it doesn't mean "temporary", Valmy.

I do not recall saying anything about people staying temporarily.  We do have permanent expat communities throughout the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

Here's an illustration of why letting emigre communities vote can be a bad idea:

Basically, Ivo Josipovic is a well educated moderate politician (who thankfully won). He got 60% of the vote overall.

Milan Bandic is a fucking douche bag. He had something like 12 corruption investigations over him at the time of the election.

When you live abroad, you tend to have an increasingly idealised vision of the homeland, to the point where you're more likely to vote for nationalist or patriotic parties as opposed to the moderate candidates with a more realistic vision.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2010, 11:46:25 AM
No.

Only if you pay taxes in that nation.

Only a moron would pay their taxes in Sweden. Surely you don't want Sweden to be ruled by mo...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2010, 11:46:25 AM
No.

Only if you pay taxes in that nation.

That is the primary reason I am in favor of American abroad voting.  If you are an American citizen you pay taxes regardless of where you make your money.  The great federal beast must be satiated.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on April 09, 2010, 11:41:23 AM
Here's an illustration of why letting emigre communities vote can be a bad idea:

Basically, Ivo Josipovic is a well educated moderate politician (who thankfully won). He got 60% of the vote overall.

Milan Bandic is a fucking douche bag. He had something like 12 corruption investigations over him at the time of the election.

When you live abroad, you tend to have an increasingly idealised vision of the homeland, to the point where you're more likely to vote for nationalist or patriotic parties as opposed to the moderate candidates with a more realistic vision.

Exactly the same thing happens in Poland, yeah.