Started by jimmy olsen, April 08, 2010, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Danes  :lol:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36278625/ns/business-consumer_news/
QuoteLunch-only beer rule prompts strike
Brewer Carlsberg also removed coolers from the workplace

updated 6:11 p.m. ET April 8, 2010

COPENHAGEN - Scores of Carlsberg workers walked off their jobs in protest Thursday after the Danish brewer tightened laid-back rules on workplace drinking and removed beer coolers from work sites, a company spokesman said.

The warehouse and production workers in Denmark are rebelling against the company's new alcohol policy, which allows them to drink beer only during lunch hours in the canteen. Previously, they could help themselves to beer throughout the day, from coolers placed around the work sites.

The only restriction was "that you could not be drunk at work. It was up to each and everyone to be responsible," company spokesman Jens Bekke said.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Carlsberg had mulled a stricter drinking policy for years and finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1, prompting protests from the staff.

Bekke said around 800 workers went on strike Wednesday and around 250 walked off their jobs Thursday, resulting in interruptions to beer transports in and around Copenhagen.

Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy — even though they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said. The truck drivers are permitted to bring three beers from the canteen because they often don't have time to have lunch there.

The trucks have alcohol ignition locks preventing the drivers from driving drunk, he added.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

I will stand in solidarity with the workers by continuing to not drink Carlsberg beer

Richard Hakluyt

"........finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1.........."

I think it's ok, just management's idea of a joke  <_<

Martinus

Could it be MSNBC mistakenly reporting Danish April Fools joke? :D

I mean the part about truck drivers being exempts from the restrictions and being allowed 3 beers during work hours seems like an obvious joke.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 01:27:14 AM
Could it be MSNBC mistakenly reporting Danish April Fools joke? :D

I mean the part about truck drivers being exempts from the restrictions and being allowed 3 beers during work hours seems like an obvious joke.

No kidding. I'd hate to see what blood alcohol level is the legal limit in Denmark.  :lol:

DisturbedPervert

Denmark -  0.05%, imprisonment if over 0.08%, zero if involved in an accident

Apparently they're quite strict

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

citizen k

Quote from: Liep on April 09, 2010, 03:47:09 AM
This is no joke.
How can you have three beers and still be under the legal limit?

sbr

Quote from: citizen k on April 09, 2010, 03:50:26 AM
This is no joke.

Over an 8 hour work shift it would be very easy.

citizen k

Quote from: sbr on April 09, 2010, 03:54:06 AM
This is no joke.

How about over lunch?

Agelastus

Quote from: citizen k on April 09, 2010, 04:07:06 AM
Quote from: sbr on April 09, 2010, 03:54:06 AM
This is no joke.

How about over lunch?

But the drivers don't have to have three beers at lunch. They can drink them during their working day, presumably when they take breaks and make deliveries. Or maybe they take the beer home with them.

I do find it strange myself though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

This is not a weird policy per se though (at least not as far as non-drivers are involved). Hell, I've seen/ heard of vodka manufacturing companies that offer vodka during lunch breaks in factory cafeteries (and no, these weren't Polish or Russian companies).

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: citizen k on April 09, 2010, 04:07:06 AM

How about over lunch?

A big guy can have three beers in an hour and be under the limit

Brazen

The first job I worked in had a ful-on pub-style bar in the canteen, mostly frequented by the warehouse staff.

Retsricting beer drinking to lunchtimes will encourage binge drinking. Having it available all day will encourage responsible drinking. Like when the UK went to all-day opening and everyone immediately started to drink sensibly :unsure:

Caliga

I believe it.  Brown-Forman is headquartered in Louisville (they make stuff like various brands of bourbon, Southern Comfort, etc. and also import tons of wine and beer), and not only do they allow drinking during the workday, they actively encourage it by giving people booze as a reward for doing a good job on a project, etc. and then the whole team drinks it to celebrate. :cheers:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points