News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Daniel Leblanc may end up in jail

Started by viper37, April 09, 2009, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Daniel Leblanc is the journalist who uncovered the sponsorship scandal.  He was ordered by a judge to reveal his confidential source, someone called "Ma Chouette".
He doesn't want to.

So, the judge will likely sentence him to serve time in jail.  A shame really.  I thought confidentiality of a journalist' sources would be protected, but it ain't.

The Gazette
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

:( There goes Canada's press freedom score.

Barrister

Just do what the judge says and nobody needs to go to jail.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 05:25:47 PM

Not good enough.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on April 09, 2009, 05:07:15 PM
Daniel Leblanc is the journalist who uncovered the sponsorship scandal.  He was ordered by a judge to reveal his confidential source, someone called "Ma Chouette".
He doesn't want to.

So, the judge will likely sentence him to serve time in jail.  A shame really.  I thought confidentiality of a journalist' sources would be protected, but it ain't.

The Gazette

The confidentiality of journalistic sources absolutely should not be protected.  Journalists who argue for it are a bunch of hypocrits--demand the truth and transparancy from everyone else but don't feel it should apply to them.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: dps on April 09, 2009, 06:49:46 PM
The confidentiality of journalistic sources absolutely should not be protected.  Journalists who argue for it are a bunch of hypocrits--demand the truth and transparancy from everyone else but don't feel it should apply to them.

Well, it is often how they get people to give them information...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on April 09, 2009, 06:49:46 PMThe confidentiality of journalistic sources absolutely should not be protected.  Journalists who argue for it are a bunch of hypocrits--demand the truth and transparancy from everyone else but don't feel it should apply to them.

Police informants also get shielded from scrutiny, often for reasons of safety, though, and nobody cries foul about that. I suppose a judge could insist that the source be named to them and then placed in a sealed court record if it was sensitive information, but I wouldn't want to be the one asking for a violation of journalistic integrity.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 05:25:47 PM
I hope you are kidding.

Martinus

By comparison, a situation like this could not happen in Poland.

Here the secrecy of journalist's sources is protected with very limited exceptions, which concern knowledge of actual plans to commit certain very serious crimes (war crimes, treason, assault on the head of state, army sabotage, murder, terrorist attack and taking hostages).

viper37

Quote from: dps on April 09, 2009, 06:49:46 PM
I disagree.  I believe it should be the same as for lawyers, you can't force a lawyer to reveal what his client said, unless there is imminent danger.

In this case, the informant will be persecuted by the government for releasing the info about that massive corruption scandal.

In the case of the FTQ (biggest union in Quebec) stories, some informant risk their lives for talking.  The one who did it openly had to be under police protection for a while.

Without that protection, there would be no investigative journalism at all, wich would be a pity as there is already not enough of that.

EDIT: reading Marty's post, yeah, I think that would be wise here, do not protect the source if it's involved in a serious crime, but in this case, it's only so one of the companies can get away with its crime or overcharging the government, i.e. billing twice for the same work.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2009, 01:53:57 AM
By comparison, a situation like this could not happen in Poland.

Here the secrecy of journalist's sources is protected with very limited exceptions, which concern knowledge of actual plans to commit certain very serious crimes (war crimes, treason, assault on the head of state, army sabotage, murder, terrorist attack and taking hostages).
And Poland is a failed state, with perhaps the most backwards legal system in the world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

He doesn't want to.

The Gazette

How long can he be incarcerated for this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 11:12:27 AM
He doesn't want to.

The Gazette

How long can he be incarcerated for this?
Indefinitely.  If the judge chooses, he can apply a penalty of life in prison, or even death.