News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Wilma Mankiller

Started by Caliga, April 06, 2010, 12:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

RIP, Wilma.  I always thought you had a kickass name.  Safe journey to the great wigwam in the sky. :(

QuoteFormer Cherokee Nation chief Wilma Mankiller dies
(AP) – 37 minutes ago

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. — Former Cherokee Nation Chief Wilma Mankiller has died after battling pancreatic cancer. She was 64.

The Tahlequah-based tribe says Mankiller died Tuesday morning.

Mankiller was one of the few women ever to lead a major American Indian tribe. She served as the Cherokee chief from December 1985 until retiring in 1995. Then-President Bill Clinton awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1998.

Current Cherokee Chief Chad Smith says the tribe is stronger because of Mankiller's leadership and statesmanship.

Mankiller dealt with numerous physical ailments during her lifetime, including three bouts with cancer.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

RIP woman with an awesome name.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Wilma is kind of a dumb first name tho.  Xena would have gone better with 'Mankiller'.  :)

Josquius

I dunno...Wilma sort of matches with Mankiller for some reason.
Give her a normal name and its just 'wow you have a weird surname'.
With a old lady name like Wilma though she actually sounds like a crazy person.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Xena is a normal name?  :huh:

Also, I've never known an old lady named Wilma.

Commonly-encountered old lady names around here are Mildred, Marjorie, Eunice, Ramona, Nancy, Lois, Louise, Dorothy, Virginia, Mabel, Myrtle.

sbr

Wilma was the name of my babysitter and next door neighbor back before I was in first grade.  From what I remember she looked liek a Wilma.

Syt

I knew only two Wilmas: Flintstone and Deering.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2010, 06:56:48 AM

Commonly-encountered old lady names around here are Mildred, Marjorie, Eunice, Ramona, Nancy, Lois, Louise, Dorothy, Virginia, Mabel, Myrtle.

To be fair, any and all of those sound awesome when combined with "mankiller".

Heh, Mabel Mankiller is my fave.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2010, 01:49:59 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2010, 06:56:48 AM

To be fair, any and all of those sound awesome when combined with "mankiller".

Heh, Mabel Mankiller is my fave.  :D
I prefer my women to go by the name of "Manmaker" :perv:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point