Colorado mom arrested in 'JihadJane' terror case

Started by jimmy olsen, April 04, 2010, 01:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Agelastus on April 04, 2010, 02:21:55 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Nothing wrong with "Mum"; it's your "Mom" that sounds weird...
We're in charge, so we get to decide how to pronounce shit.  Y'all had your time in the sun, but gave it away rather than do the right thing and give those Indians what for.  :(

Agelastus

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2010, 04:34:41 PM
We're in charge, so we get to decide how to pronounce shit.  Y'all had your time in the sun, but gave it away rather than do the right thing and give those Indians what for.  :(

10%, cheaper tea, and a little protection for the natives...what glorious things to revolt against...  :lol: :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Britain couldn't have held the US anyways.  Too much of the US population was devoted to slavery.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I meant 'Indian subcontinent' Indians.  I would never use the racidistic term 'Indian' to refer to my Native American brothers and sisters.  :mad:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2010, 06:31:18 PM

Britain couldn't have held the US anyways.  Too much of the US population was devoted to slavery.
And why wouldn't the Free labor North have supported the Motherland in the inevitable Civil War?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2010, 08:47:06 PM
And why wouldn't the Free labor North have supported the Motherland in the inevitable Civil War?
Because they didn't.  The North fought in the Rebellion to save slavery.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2010, 09:17:04 PM
Eh? What are you going on about? The Revolution had nothing to do with slavery.  We're talking about a hypothetical rebellion in British North America over slavery 60-90 years later, totally different circumstances.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Britain wouldn't have repudiated slavery if it was still practiced widely in their colonies.  So the point is moot.  They only banned it after it became economically irrelevant.   And even after that they still looked the other way when it happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2010, 09:32:39 PM
Britain wouldn't have repudiated slavery if it was still practiced widely in their colonies.  So the point is moot.  They only banned it after it became economically irrelevant.   And even after that they still looked the other way when it happened.
Yeah, because that's exactly what happened in the United States. :rolleyes:

If it was still profitable in the US, why would it have been unprofitable in the British W. Indies?

I seem to recall a rather extensive Royal Navy antislavery campaign.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2010, 09:21:57 PM
Eh? What are you going on about? The Revolution had nothing to do with slavery.  We're talking about a hypothetical rebellion in British North America over slavery 60-90 years later, totally different circumstances.
The Rebellion was all about slavery.  Britain was going abolitionist and starting to pass laws ending slavery and emancipating slaves.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2010, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2010, 09:32:39 PM
Yeah, because that's exactly what happened in the United States. :rolleyes:

If it was still profitable in the US, why would it have been unprofitable in the British W. Indies?

I seem to recall a rather extensive Royal Navy antislavery campaign.

Was slavery economically relevant in the US when it was abolished?  No, most slave holding areas were in open rebellion and thus not really contributing to the national economy.  I didn't say slavery was unprofitable I said it became irrelevant.  With the loss of most of the Americas slavery became more and more insignificant in the British economy.  The power of the Slave Lobby subsequently diminished.  It's a lot easier to ban something when it only effects you trivially.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2010, 09:49:03 PM
The Rebellion was all about slavery.  Britain was going abolitionist and starting to pass laws ending slavery and emancipating slaves.

And it only took them 60 years after the Revolution to do so!  I could see how this was an emergency and require swift action!

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2010, 09:54:27 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2010, 09:49:03 PM
And it only took them 60 years after the Revolution to do so!  I could see how this was an emergency and require swift action!
They were passing emancipatory laws in the 1770s, like the Colliers and Salters Act.  The Americans saw it as the thin edge of the wedge.

Razgovory

I doubt many Americans even knew about it.  Nor was it likely on the minds of those in Boston where the Revolution started where there were few slaves and slavery was abolished shortly after the war.