News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shangri-la

Started by Monoriu, April 02, 2010, 07:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 06, 2010, 06:26:33 AM
Careful Monny. I hear your government kills the weak and bills the family for the cost of hauling the body to the local dog food factory. :(
:huh:  "Dog: food" means something completely different in Chinese, and they don't process them in factories, but in individual kitchens.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Meant for export.
Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2010, 06:33:09 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 06, 2010, 06:26:33 AM
Careful Monny. I hear your government kills the weak and bills the family for the cost of hauling the body to the local dog food factory. :(
:huh:  "Dog: food" means something completely different in Chinese, and they don't process them in factories, but in individual kitchens.
PDH!

Josquius

How very disgusting. Looks like some kind of freakish mutant dog.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

My wife has always insisted that she can't go to Tibet because of the altitude.  We just found out that -

Lhasa: about 3,600 metres above sea level.
Shangri-la: about 3,400 metres.  Some of the places we went to actually were over 4,000 metres above sea level.

I am going to visit: Tibet  :bowler:

katmai

Well duh.

I was born at 3,000 meters above sea level.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

Although Shangri-la is in Yunnan province, the majority of the population is Tibetan.  All the signs are bilingual - Chinese and Tibetan.  On the highway from Lijiang to Shangri-la, there were dozens of bill boards advertising Tibetan ceremonial daggers.   "Imitated by hundreds, surpassed by none - buy xxx daggers".  "Cuts iron like butter".  Etc.

It wasn't that long ago that we were on a road in a poor part of the world.  The trip reminded us of the Sri Lankan journey.  Now, Yunnan is one of the poorer parts of China.  But it looks much better than Sri Lanka.  The livestock looked normal, the roads were all paved, the houses were made of well-aligned bricks and had a proper roof.  In Sri Lanka, most of the livestock and pets looked like they were about to collaspe any minute, and there was not much between their skin and bones.  The houses were made of an assortment of trash that had plenty of holes.  The "roads" were just clearings and open spaces between buildings.  Most strikingly, there were hills of uncollected domestic waste on the roadsides. 

One thing I really don't miss is Tibetan food.  There are good reasons why Tibetan cuisine is not very well known, and there are few Tibetan restaurants.  Their best dish is hotpot (slices of meat, potato, tofu and veggies cooked in beef/chicken stock), which is decent.  Next is a bunch of dishes made from their unique "hairy cattle".  No matter what beef dish I ordered, the meat always came in thin slices.  That's a good sign that the meat is very chewy and dry, instead of tender and juicy. 

My altitude sickness was made worse by the fact that I developed severe digestive problems.  There was so much gas being produced inside me that if I slept for 2-3 hours, I would wake up looking pregnant.  I soon realized that my stomach refused to digest the Tibetan beef (I can eat beef with no problem anywhere else in the world). 

Monoriu

The hotel was built on a hillside, for the view.  First sign of trouble was when the Tibetan bell boy took our 22+kg luggage and walked up the 30 steps of stairs or so to get to our room, as if nothing happened.  I was carrying nothing but I couldn't follow him, at all.  My lungs were breathing as if I just worked out in a gym for more than an hour.  The temperatures were close to zero C, so I was breathing in icy air. 

Before we left HK, Yunnan featured in the headlines.  They were suffering from one of the worst droughts in living memory.  It rained/snowed non-stop while we were there.  I demand to be hailed as a deity. 

starbright

Did you take any part of that elevated rail line? That is one thing I want to do if I ever travel to China.

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2010, 03:11:59 PMI am going to visit: Tibet  :bowler:
Imperialist oppressor.  :mad:

:P

Zanza

By the way, I was under the impression that Shangri-La is a fictional place...

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on April 10, 2010, 01:09:55 AM

:huh: About as fictional as Rohan and The Shire in New Zealand.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

It was. Then someone figured out renaming a place that would be good tourist advertising.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

It was also an Essex class carrier.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive