Martinuses of the Animal World: Interesting NYT Article

Started by Queequeg, April 01, 2010, 02:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

QuoteThe resulting story joined others, including one in this paper, and as the news ricocheted around the Internet, a stampede of online commenters alternately celebrated Young's findings as a clear call for equality or denigrated them as "pure propaganda and selective science at its dumbest" and "an effort to humanize animals or devolve humans to the level of animals or to further an agenda." Many pointed out that animals also rape or eat their young; was America going to tolerate that too, just because it's "natural"?

:bleeding:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

An excellent point.  Just because animals might occasionally become faggots doesn't mean that we shouldn't execute all fags.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2010, 08:25:45 AM
Real or elaborate April Fools?

... Real; for one thing the article's from Sunday. For another, this is all old news.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Faeelin on April 01, 2010, 08:27:36 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2010, 08:25:45 AM
Real or elaborate April Fools?

... Real; for one thing the article's from Sunday. For another, this is all old news.

Alright. I'll take a look then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

I love the fundie logic.

Homosexuality is not natural! There is no same sex fucking in nature!

But animals fuck each other of the same sex?

But humans are not animals!

garbon

I love that logic that Martinus ~ homosexual and therefore homosexuals = Martinuses. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2010, 10:53:19 AM
I love that logic that Martinus ~ homosexual and therefore homosexuals = Martinuses. :angry:

I'm the only gay on the forum.  :showoff:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Martinus is the most belligerent and arguably the most important (at least in terms of meme-creation and debate) on the forum, so he got it.

I don't really think a lot of these animals qualify as "gay" though.  That was a bit of sarcasm.  There is a good 300,000,000 years between us and the birds, I kind of doubt we have co-evolved extremely similar exclusive homosexuality or that it goes back in its present form uninterrupted by the time of the Synapsid-Diapsid split. 

Its also worth noting that from what I understand, with some "gay" animals it is far more clearly due to strict anatomical reasons that are far simpler than the causes of human homosexuality.  An Endocrinology student friend of mine at UMich tuns cows in to masculinized, infertile lesbians for a living. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2010, 11:07:13 AM
Martinus is the most belligerent and arguably the most important (at least in terms of meme-creation and debate) on the forum, so he got it.

Annoying = importance? :o

Malthus

I thought it was a "Pole = animal" thing.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

dps

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2010, 11:07:13 AM
An Endocrinology student friend of mine at UMich tuns cows in to masculinized, infertile lesbians for a living. 

I suppose that's as good an explanation for Jaron as we're likely to get.