News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

What is there to decide? The rules are perfectly clear. If multiple stacks are adjacent, the owning player can choose the order to resolve their interception, but once one power intercepts, no other powers can do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ehrie

I jsut don't understand the point of the second sentence then under your interpretation. I believe the bolded one is telling the player that unlike land interceptions, naval ones all happen at the same time and the single stack all fights together.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2009, 08:49:45 AM
What is there to decide? The rules are perfectly clear. If multiple stacks are adjacent, the owning player can choose the order to resolve their interception, but once one power intercepts, no other powers can do so.

The rules seems to imply that I can combine my 2 stacks into one for interception-checking purposes

Delirium

I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can read it any other way than that there is a single roll if you want.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ehrie

Quote from: Delirium on June 16, 2009, 08:52:36 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can read it any other way than that there is a single roll if you want.

But Del, if two powers can't intercept why would the the rules say each such attempt to intercept must be resolved seperatly if you can fight from two different sea zones together? When would you ever choose to roll seperatly if you could roll together?

Delirium

Quote from: ehrie on June 16, 2009, 08:51:11 AM
I jsut don't understand the point of the second sentence then under your interpretation. I believe the bolded one is telling the player that unlike land interceptions, naval ones all happen at the same time and the single stack all fights together.

But the end of the fourth bullet says exactly that:

QuoteAll stacks that successfully intercept are combined into a single stack (and will fight as a combined force in the naval combat in Step 7 below).

By your reading the second sentence is completely redundant.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

Quote from: ehrie on June 16, 2009, 08:51:11 AM

Quote from: TamasThe rules seems to imply that I can combine my 2 stacks into one for interception-checking purposes

Yes, they can in fact all stack and fight together, but that doesn't mean they all roll together.

The rules imply nothing at all, they clearly state that once all intercepts are resolved, the intercepting power can fight as a single stack - it says absolutely NOTHING about rolling interceptions together, and in fact explicitly states that they are rolled seperately, in whatever order the owning player decides.

ehire moves.
Now we go in turn order, so Haps decides if he wants to try to intercept.
Habs chooses not to. (If he chose to intercept and succeeded with even 1 squadron, nobody else can intercept)
France decides if he wants to intercept, he does.
He rolls each adjacent stacks intercept attempt separately, in whatever order he chooses.
Any that succeed will fight as a combined stack.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Delirium on June 16, 2009, 08:52:36 AM

A single combat roll, but separate interception rolls.

0 rows returned

Delirium

Quote from: ehrie on June 16, 2009, 08:57:48 AMBut Del, if two powers can't intercept why would the the rules say each such attempt to intercept must be resolved seperatly if you can fight from two different sea zones together? When would you ever choose to roll seperatly if you could roll together?

Because that's not the point, the point is that one power can have more than one stack and wants to roll for them as a single stack. Two powers cannot succeed in an interception, that's been stated a number of times.

Berkut

QuoteIf multiple enemy stacks are adjacent to the destination
space, one or more naval units (owning player's choice) from each
stack may attempt to intercept as a single stack.

That is saying that within each stack, the stack may intercept with one roll (or not).

Multiple adjacent stacks cannot intercept with one roll, however. not the FROM EACH.

0 rows returned

Delirium

Okay, bear with me here. Point 4:

stack may attempt to intercept as a single stack

Then point 7:

QuoteIf naval units of the active power and
an enemy power occupy the same sea zone or port, naval combat
occurs in that location.

Delirium

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2009, 09:01:20 AM
stack may attempt to intercept as a single stack.

That is saying that within each stack, the stack may intercept with one roll (or not).

Multiple adjacent stacks cannot intercept with one roll, however. not the FROM EACH.

Hmm, okay, that is a logical interpretation we didn't think of.

But if that is the case, then why are the words "if multiple stacks are adjacent" present at all? If Berk is correct, then that is redundant.

ehrie

Can someone just post this on whereever we usually post these rules questions? :P

Berkut

Quote from: Delirium on June 16, 2009, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: ehrie on June 16, 2009, 08:57:48 AMBut Del, if two powers can't intercept why would the the rules say each such attempt to intercept must be resolved seperatly if you can fight from two different sea zones together? When would you ever choose to roll seperatly if you could roll together?

Because that's not the point, the point is that one power can have more than one stack and wants to roll for them as a single stack. Two powers cannot succeed in an interception, that's been stated a number of times.

Again, they can will roll the combat together, they cannot roll the intercept together unless the ships are in a single stack to begin with. For obvious reasons. Hell, naval units did not coordinate that well in WW2, much less several hundred years earlier.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: ehrie on June 16, 2009, 09:05:59 AM
Can someone just post this on whereever we usually post these rules questions? :P

Knock yourself out - I don't have any question about what the rules say.

0 rows returned