News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

That is a pretty good event for all three of us, us getting cards and you two mercs.

Apart from an alliance and to help you against Luther with troops and protect you from the Ottomans and the French, I also acknowledge your right to Italy as your sphere of influence and I promise to play any beneficial events on your part.

But you're probably thinking about card offers in return. I honestly think our joint purpose is better served at this point by me rather than you having the maximum number of cards; although there is a point to you having a lot of cp's available for conversion attempts, I think me being able to fend off the Ottomans while beating up the Schmalkaladddnen league is a tougher job and better for us in the long run.

That's my truthful opinion.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Speaking of trades: what does it worth for the unholy papal-habsburg alliance to delay the arrival of the barbary pirates?

Habbaku

Delay it for all of three or four impulses?  lulz
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2009, 12:19:02 PM
He is wondering what it might be worth to the English and Hapsburgs players to have that played as an event...

You could play one of your 3 other cards while you negotiate, so as to allow Luther the chance to proselytize a bit more?

Delirium

Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2009, 01:15:13 PM
Speaking of trades: what does it worth for the unholy papal-habsburg alliance to delay the arrival of the barbary pirates?

It's mandatory, so as Habs says, it's going to be played this turn whether we want to or not. I personally don't think it's in anyone's interest to maximize the Ottomans' time to wreak havoc with their pirates, but if you believe otherwise I don't feel I have anything to offer you other than that we should keep a truce this turn and conclude a white peace next turn.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Quote from: Delirium on April 14, 2009, 01:24:01 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2009, 01:15:13 PM

It's mandatory, so as Habs says, it's going to be played this turn whether we want to or not. I personally don't think it's in anyone's interest to maximize the Ottomans' time to wreak havoc with their pirates, but if you believe otherwise I don't feel I have anything to offer you other than that we should keep a truce this turn and conclude a white peace next turn.

I want Metz for peace.

Delirium

So what do you want for playing Pirates late?

Berkut

Papacy: Message

Play Papal Bull for 4 CPS.

2/4: Build 2 mercs in Ravenna
3/4: Move 1+3 from ravenna to Modena
4/4: Control Modena
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Tamas has the option to intercept in Modena, but likely won't.

Ulmont's up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ehrie

I can't really see what I could offer the Pope for the play of Cloth. It doesn't make sense to give you a card for a card and I don't really have any way of assisting the Papal player otherwise being up here on my comfy island fortress.

ulmont

God, that was awful.  4 reformation attempts, 1 of which had 7! dice, and I managed to fail all but Stettin.

Quote3 / Erasmus
If played on Turn 1 or 2, Protestant player makes 4 Reformation attempts targeting all language zones. If played on Turn 3 or later, Papal player makes 4 Counter Reformation attempts targeting all language zones.

Protestant: Die roll request
Request: 6-sided die x 6

Message from Protestant:
Reformation 1/4, targeting Nuremberg.

4 adjacent spaces (Kassel, Mainz, Worms, Augsburg)
2 adjacent stacks (Mainz, Augsburg)
=
6 Protestant dice.

Request: 6-sided die x 1

Message from Protestant:
Reformation 1/4, Nuremberg, Protestant.

I forgot Leipzig, giving me a 7th die.

Request: 6-sided die x 3

Message from Protestant:
Nuremberg, Papal dice (Protestants have a 3).

1 adjacent (Regensburg)
2 from a stack.

Request: 6-sided die x 3

Message from Protestant:
Nuremberg fails.

Reformation attempt 2/4, targeting Lubeck.

2 adjacent (Magdeburg, Brandenberg)
1 adjacent stack (Brandenberg)
=
3 protestant dice.

Request: 6-sided die x 2

Message from Protestant:
Lubeck, Papal dice (Protestants have a 3)

2 adjacent (Hamberg, Stettin)
=
2 Papal dice.

Request: 6-sided die x 4

Message from Protestant:
Reformation attempt 3/4, targeting Liege.

2 adjacent (Koln, Trier)
2 adjacent stacks (Koln, Trier)
=
4 Protestant dice.

Request: 6-sided die x 6

Message from Protestant:
Liege, Papal dice.

3 adjacent spaces (Antwerp, Brussels, Metz)
3 adjacent stacks (Antwerp, Brussels, Metz)
=
6 Papal dice.

Request: 6-sided die x 2

Message from Protestant:
Reformation attempt 4/4, targeting Stettin

1 adjacent (Brandenberg)
1 adjacent stack (Brandenberg)
=
2 Protestant dice.

Request: 6-sided die x 1

Message from Protestant:
Stettin, Papal dice.

1 adjacent space (Lubeck)
=
1 Papal die.

Back to Habbaku.

Habbaku

Hint : England and Habsburgs should offer at least one mercenary, perhaps 2 next turn for play of the event.  The Pope would get ~4-6 mercenaries and the other two would get a card for their troubles.  The average CP value of cards in HIS is something like 2.4 or 2.6 or something, and that's not counting the "inherent" CP value of some of the more powerful events.

Saying you have "no way of assisting the Papal player" is silly.  You always have something to exchange to another player.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

QuoteOttoman: Play Card as Operations

#35: 1 / Siege Artillery

Message from Ottoman:
Playing for CPs :

1/1 - Suleiman and entourage all to Belgrade. Belgrade under siege.

Suleiman and pals head off to take their rightful place in Serbia.

Delirium's up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2009, 02:18:11 PM
The average CP value of cards in HIS is something like 2.4 or 2.6 or something, and that's not counting the "inherent" CP value of some of the more powerful events.

2.66 for the cards available on turn 1, excluding home cards.

Berkut

Quote from: ehrie on April 14, 2009, 02:10:06 PM
I can't really see what I could offer the Pope for the play of Cloth. It doesn't make sense to give you a card for a card and I don't really have any way of assisting the Papal player otherwise being up here on my comfy island fortress.

Of course it makes sense to give me a card for a card - a card today is worth more than a card next turn, isn't it? Can a card next turn send an explorer or colony or maybe even both THIS turn?

And while I agree that being friendly to the Hapsburgs is valuable all on its own, lets be reasonable - this is a 4CP card, pretty much the best card in my hand, and my hand is pretty damn small. I do NOT agree that a card in the Hapsburgs players hand is worth more than one in the Papal hand - quite the opposite in fact, especially when I have such a poor leader. I have very few cards, therefore each card is relatively valuable compared to the Hapsburg and English player who have cards falling out of...well, anyway, a lot more cards than I do.

I think it would be very reasonable for you two to trade me card for card. You both get a card this turn in trade for a card next turn. Heck, you could both turn around and spend that card you get from this on a colony, for example, and have a decent chance of not even losing a card from the deal.

The Pope, however, is in the opposite position - I only have 2 non-home cards, so of course each is very valuable to me, and I need to secure another key still to get that next card. So burning this as an event, instead of taking Florence, is certainly much more painful, and hence deserving of a commensurate reward.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned