And we're back!

Main Menu

Serbia debates Srebrenica apology

Started by jimmy olsen, March 30, 2010, 09:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2010, 11:17:37 AM
Quote from: Warspite on March 31, 2010, 09:54:31 AM
The second are the nutcases: they think that Serbia has a God-given right to an Albanian majority province because they fought the Turks there centuries ago.
Claims like that didn't stop Israel. :P
Yeah, but Israel won the war, and are therefore right.  Serbia was crushed, and was therefore wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on March 31, 2010, 11:45:52 AM
Indeed. We would be far more technologically advance if it werent for WW1, the serbians, and the muslims.

I want my damn flying car!
What have muslims done to retard technology?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2010, 01:51:51 PM
Indeed. We would be far more technologically advance if it werent for WW1, the serbians, and the muslims.

Perfected it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2010, 02:23:13 PM

Perfected it?
:lol:

Nicely done.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2010, 02:23:13 PM

Perfected it?
Brilliant! :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Last time I checked, the World Wars were the catalysts for nearly every great invention of the past century.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on March 31, 2010, 08:03:39 PM
Last time I checked, the World Wars were the catalysts for nearly every great invention of the past century.   :huh:
Not really, but they did help drive innovation and adoption.

jimmy olsen

Immense amounts of human, physical and fiscal capital was lost. I think the argument that that was made up for by the extra incentive and drive provided by the Wars is questionable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2010, 08:47:47 PM
Immense amounts of human, physical and fiscal capital was lost. I think the argument that that was made up for by the extra incentive and drive provided by the Wars is questionable.
Particularily WWI.

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2010, 08:47:47 PM
That would be an argument from a hypothetical alternative history, an alternative (World War-less) reality so different from our own as to be unrecognizable. 

What we do know is that war and violence have been at the forefront of technological and social development for as long as there is an anthropological record.  I don't doubt that it has pushed our species forward, even as it has brought out our worst instincts.  Not pretty, necessarily, but true. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2010, 02:42:45 AM
That would be an argument from a hypothetical alternative history, an alternative (World War-less) reality so different from our own as to be unrecognizable.   
All hypothetical arguments are made from hypotheses.  :huh:

I dunno about what an "argument from a hypothetical alternative history" even is, though.

QuoteWhat we do know is that war and violence have been at the forefront of technological and social development for as long as there is an anthropological record.  I don't doubt that it has pushed our species forward, even as it has brought out our worst instincts.  Not pretty, necessarily, but true.
We don't "know" this and this is not "true."  We suspect it of war (though not necessarily of violence).  You are engaging in the classic post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy; one could as easily say "what we do know is that breathing and shitting have been at the forefront of technological and social development for as long as there is an anthropological record."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I'll wager some of the best ideas in the world have come while pondering the universe on a porcelain throne.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

War can perhaps accelerate certain aspects of our technological development, but there were no technologies AFAIK that were uniquely a result of industrial war - ie that we could reasonably consider that we would have not had otherwise.

Against this, we have to weigh up the destruction, opportunity cost of the economic distortion of total war, and the loss of labour and entrepreneurship in the fields.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on April 01, 2010, 06:34:16 AM
War can perhaps accelerate certain aspects of our technological development, but there were no technologies AFAIK that were uniquely a result of industrial war - ie that we could reasonably consider that we would have not had otherwise.

Against this, we have to weigh up the destruction, opportunity cost of the economic distortion of total war, and the loss of labour and entrepreneurship in the fields.
Indeed, arguments have been successfully made that wars have emphasized the development of the wrong kinds of technologies and the wrong elements of the right tech, while delaying the right kinds of tech.

Container shipment technology was available for a long time before it was implemented, but was delayed because there were so many break bulk Liberty and Victory ships available so cheaply that container ships couldn't be economically built.

Aircraft developments in WW1 emphasized speed and maneuverability, when what was needed to further the utility of aircraft was range and carrying capacity.

Bayraktar!