News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragonlane Legends Volume 1

Started by Korea, March 30, 2010, 01:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

So, in this Dragonlance universe....is there something I should be reading prior to Time of the Twins to make some of this make more sense? Or is Time of the Twins a good place to start..?
I want my mother fucking points!

Razgovory

You should read the AD&D handbook first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

The initial Dragons series. Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning, aka The Chronicles Series.  Definitely start there.  My personal favorites and readable early on are The Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Korea

So, will I be completely confused if I read these books first?

Sophie Scholl

Not completely, but it'd be a heck of a lot better to start with the Dragons books.  They introduce the twins and the key players in their lives.  It'd vaguely be like just watching The Empire Strikes Back instead of Star Wars first.  You'll get the story, but you'll not know the backstory or understand the characters as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

lol, Dragonlance.  Welcome to junior high.

Darth Wagtaros

Legends are the only books really worth reading.  BUt the Chronicles trilogy setz it up.
PDH!

Martinus

I remember reading the Chronicles books when I was in high school and it felt like reading a D&D session transcript. One could even pinpoint the moments they were rolling dice.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2010, 05:14:42 AM

LOL no kidding. Next: Andre Norton. :bleeding:

Agelastus

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on March 30, 2010, 01:30:58 AM
The initial Dragons series. Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning, aka The Chronicles Series.  Definitely start there.  My personal favorites and readable early on are The Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur.

Personally, I'd advise that the only books she reads are those written by Weis, Hickman, Niles, Knaak and Williams (I really enjoyed the "Weasel" books.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I had a few friends who read them around that time.  But even then, when I would eagerly read Harry Turtledove novels, I could still recognize D&D novels as dreck.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Agelastus on March 30, 2010, 07:51:34 AM

Personally, I'd advise that the only books she reads are those written by Weis, Hickman, Niles, Knaak and Williams (I really enjoyed the "Weasel" books.)

FYP.  K should read the first six books then stop and never pick up another Dragonlance book.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Korea

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2010, 10:59:52 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 30, 2010, 07:51:34 AM

FYP.  K should read the first six books then stop and never pick up another Dragonlance book.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I've heard.

Korea

I like to read Harry Potter too.   ;)