"Anime is a prime example that two nukes just wasn't enough"

Started by Ed Anger, March 28, 2010, 09:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2010, 11:40:35 AM
Well, I grew up watching Captain Future (of course in the early 80s no one used the term "anime"), loving the sci-fi theme and design (now I know it's based off the stories of Edmond Hamilton). I don't watch much anime these days, though I found Elfen Lied both well written and emotionally a bit devastating. Most depressing story I've seen in a while.
Anime back then really did sci-fi rather well. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2010, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2010, 12:11:28 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2010, 10:26:08 AM
Universally hating all anime is just as dumb a viewpoint as universally loving all anime.

Nah. Some people just don't like the aesthetic.

Also some people don't enjoy movies about androgynous teenage boys and school girls.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Heh, through watching the kiddie channels with Carl I've gotten into watching an anime-type show aimed squarely at 10 year olds, and I think it is quite good - "Avatar: The last Airbender". I hear that a movie version is comming out this summer.

The odd part is that this seems to be a blend of Western-style animation with anime.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Malthus on March 28, 2010, 01:46:11 PM
The odd part is that this seems to be a blend of Western-style animation with anime.

That is because it is an American show; Nickelodeon produced it, if I remember correctly.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Malthus

Quote from: Agelastus on March 28, 2010, 01:58:50 PM

That is because it is an American show; Nickelodeon produced it, if I remember correctly.

Yup, which probably accounts for the fact that the series is relatively free from the more annoying japanese animation conventions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Agelastus

Quote from: Malthus on March 28, 2010, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 28, 2010, 01:58:50 PM

Yup, which probably accounts for the fact that the series is relatively free from the more annoying japanese animation conventions.

One man's annoyance is another man's bread and butter... ;)

Although some conventions I can do without, myself. For example, the closing bloodbath that afflicts all bar one Gundam series, for example. Or the habit of trying to cloak a lack of a satisfying ending as some kind of metaphysical claptrap (although that seems to be less common now.) Or the lack of satisfying endings in general, since almost all studios seem to be infected with a mania for leaving things open for sequels that are never made.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Martinus

The best part are all the animetards QQ-ing in comments under the article on gawker.  :lol:

Best one:

QuoteIt IS offensive. To Japanese culture, Japanese people, and all the weeabos and cosplayers in America and around the world. Anime is more popular than New Hampshire will ever be.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fireblade

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2010, 02:30:07 PM
What's a weeabo?

It's etymologically related to "jiggaboo". A "weeabo" is a black male who's obsessed with anime.

A "Japanigger", if you will.

Malthus

Quote from: Agelastus on March 28, 2010, 02:12:58 PM
One man's annoyance is another man's bread and butter... ;)

Although some conventions I can do without, myself. For example, the closing bloodbath that afflicts all bar one Gundam series, for example. Or the habit of trying to cloak a lack of a satisfying ending as some kind of metaphysical claptrap (although that seems to be less common now.) Or the lack of satisfying endings in general, since almost all studios seem to be infected with a mania for leaving things open for sequels that are never made.

One thing I find annoying in anime is the lack of noses.  ;)