South Korean navy ship sinking near North - possibly torpedoed

Started by Brazen, March 26, 2010, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2010, 07:28:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2010, 07:24:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 18, 2010, 01:39:25 PM
He was probably waiting to finish his starcraft game.
Maybe he was investigating the recent scandal where pro-gamers were rigging matches.
Why would anyone investigate that?
Presumably because there's prize money involved, plus the matches get shown on tv.
So?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DisturbedPervert

Maybe he was investigating the recent scandal where pro-gamers were rigging matches.
Presumably because there's prize money involved, plus the matches get shown on tv.

Gambling.  Lots of betting going on in Starcraft and people were throwing matches

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

If these sailors are proven to have been killed by North Korea, I wonder if their names will go up on the Korean War Memorial, after all, the war's never ended. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2010, 09:20:35 PM
If these sailors are proven to have been killed by North Korea, I wonder if their names will go up on the Korean War Memorial, after all, the war's never ended. :hmm:
I would be surprised.  There's no advantage in that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2010, 09:37:55 PM
Are there supposed to be advantages? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2010, 09:39:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2010, 09:37:55 PM
Are there supposed to be advantages? :huh:
Of course.  You never do anything political without a reason.

jimmy olsen

I can see how they could miss a sub that's hiding, but not an active torpedo, don't they make a lot of noise? :huh:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/04/19/2010041901342.html
A lingering question is why the Cheonan's radar system was unable to detect a torpedo attack, if that was indeed the cause of the sinking. The Defense Ministry says the sonar aboard a South Korean warship like the Cheonan has a 70-percent chance of detecting submarines or semi-submersibles around a 2 km radius. But retired naval commanders say the chances are actually only 50 percent, so sonar officers could have been unaware of an approaching torpedo.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2010, 01:48:22 AM
I can see how they could miss a sub that's hiding, but not an active torpedo, don't they make a lot of noise? :huh:

The North Koreans are known to have Russian SAET-60 torpedoes, which is an all-electric wake homer.  That fish would likely be hard to hear, particularly since it is best fired from behind the target.

dps

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2010, 07:54:06 PM
So?

If there's money involved, you know the government will want to get its hooks into it, no matter what country.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2010, 01:48:22 AM

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/04/19/2010041901342.html
A lingering question is why the Cheonan's radar system was unable to detect a torpedo attack, if that was indeed the cause of the sinking. The Defense Ministry says the sonar aboard a South Korean warship like the Cheonan has a 70-percent chance of detecting submarines or semi-submersibles around a 2 km radius. But retired naval commanders say the chances are actually only 50 percent, so sonar officers could have been unaware of an approaching torpedo.

The sonar operators were probably distracted by Starcraft.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Another instance of North Koreans behaving badly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8633913.stm
North Korea 'plotted to kill high profile defector'
By John Sudworth
BBC News, Seoul

Hwang Jang Yop speaking in Washington DC, US (30 March 2010)
Mr Hwang defected after witnessing North Korea's famine

South Korea says it has uncovered a plot to assassinate a North Korean defector, the most senior official ever to have fled the authoritarian state.

Hwang Jang Yop, 87, was once a close confidant and mentor for North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.

He was the former chairman of the North Korean Supreme People's Assembly, but he defected to the South in 1997.

Seoul says two suspected North Koreans have been arrested, accused of being on a mission to kill him.

The alleged plot was uncovered when the two men, posing as defectors themselves, were questioned by South Korean officials during the debriefing sessions that await all North Korean refugees who make it to Seoul.

North Korea, it seems, has never forgotten Mr Hwang's betrayal.

Just two weeks ago its official government website threatened him with death and described him as a "traitor and human scum".

Mr Hwang says he decided to defect after witnessing the disastrous economic policies that led to the North Korean famine in the 1990s.

Many of the close family members that he left behind are reported to have been sent to labour camps.

Since arriving in the South he lives under heavy police protection and remains a harsh critic of Pyongyang.

He recently travelled to the United States to give a lecture, telling journalists that he has no regrets.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

QuoteJust two weeks ago its official government website threatened him with death and described him as a "traitor and human scum".

Invite the North Korean government to Languish?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

If Tim is going to post every time the North Koreans do something evil we'll need an entire new board.  I know he's fairly new to that country but the fuckers do this all the time.  The people of south just learn to deal with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017