News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Operation Blue Gum Called Off

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2010, 09:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Me either.

I guess now Operation Mooncricket, after the national cricket of Australia, has commenced.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Unlike most posters I have heard about lazy African-Americans who refuse to work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Never heard it before, but I will begin using it.   :cool:

Will the new operation be: Operation Wind Chime?  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

What on earth does "blue gum" even refer to, racially speaking?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I've never heard that slang. But amusing.
To me blue gum would bring to mind someone who in the old days bit a lot of fake money and had coppery gums. Though thats all just pulled from my head/arse of course.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2010, 03:45:03 PM
What on earth does "blue gum" even refer to, racially speaking?
That would depend on who you believe.  Looking into it, it appears that in some cases it refers to blacks without any white ancestry (and who therefor have purely blue gums with no pink tones) - this may be a term that "lighter-skinned blacks" use as a term of disparagement.  That explanation could equally well be one that somebody just made up.  Teh interwebs are full of the latter (stuff like "the significance of the word "National" in "Arlington National Cemetery" for instance).   
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2010, 05:55:48 PM
...Teh interwebs are full of the latter (stuff like "the significance of the word "National" in "Arlington National Cemetery" for instance).

I see you are still determined to pretend you are an ignoramus incapable of simple thought, a surprising trait in a man as well educated as yourself. :) You could keep it to the appropriate thread, though, out of courtesy to the others here on Languish.

Anyway, on topic -

I checked the internet and found the "blue Gum" explanation myself, and I have some doubts. Despite the stereotype of the "smiling African" it seems odd to me to base a racial epithet on something that most of the time you will not see (the gums of the African in question.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on March 23, 2010, 06:16:07 PM
I see you are still determined to pretend you are an ignoramus incapable of simple thought, a surprising trait in a man as well educated as yourself. :)
Oh, very mature!  :lol:  Way to show you have a sense of humor. Nice example of an ad hom, though.  Crazy Canuck might not have gotten an F on his post if he could have seen this earlier.
QuoteYou could keep it to the appropriate thread, though, out of courtesy to the others here on Languish.
Obviously you are not very familiar with how things work here at languish (or on pretty much any discussion board).  Silly concepts get brought transferred to different threads as a matter of course.  See "Marti tackling" someone or some thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

I've never heard of this term. I guess it's the B-G word?  :huh: