News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Operation Blue Gum Called Off

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2010, 09:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Damn.  :pinch:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/operation-blue-gum-for-barack-obama-visit-gets-the-chainsaw/story-e6frgczf-1225843035250
QuoteOperation Blue Gum for Barack Obama visit gets the chainsaw

* Hedley Thomas
    * March 20, 2010 12:00AM

THE codename chosen for a secret policing operation to protect US President Barack Obama during his visit to Australia sounds innocuous enough.

But calling it Operation Blue Gum, after Australia's iconic native trees, almost caused an international embarrassment.

US consular officials were aghast when briefed by their counterparts in the NSW Police Force about the title, Blue Gum. In America, a "bluegum" is offensive slang for a lazy African-American who refuses to work.

And those in the small circle of officials who became aware of the operation's name were determined to abandon it, as quietly as possible, before Mr Obama heard about it.

Before the visit was called off, all references to Blue Gum were deleted and replaced. The new name is classified but sources told The Weekend Australian that it had been checked and re-checked for any cultural sensitivities. Australian officials have been at pains to stress that most NSW Police Force operation names are generated by a computer.

"Various groups of nouns belonging to a selection of themes are entered and the operation name is generated from an existing database," a spokeswoman said last night.

Police seeking an operation name ask the computer to provide one. "This was the case in this instance," she said.

"In discussing the operation with US Consulate officials, they made NSW Police aware of a difference in the interpretation of the original operation name. The name of the security operation was revised."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2010, 09:58:51 AM
In America, a "bluegum" is offensive slang for a lazy African-American who refuses to work.

I've never heard that term and I doubt my parents have either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2010, 10:09:04 AM
In America, a "bluegum" is offensive slang for a lazy African-American who refuses to work.

Ditto.
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 23, 2010, 10:11:12 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2010, 10:09:04 AM

Ditto.

Same.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Seriously? I'm surprised that so many of you have never come across it before.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Malthus

Must be the most obscure slang ever. Never heard of it (but then, I'm a Canadian, and even "Canadian" is a 'code word' for Blacks in America. Is there anything that potentially isn't:P )
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I think it's more of a Hillbilly thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2010, 10:39:38 AM
QuoteGay Dutch Soldiers to Sue Sheehan?
By Advocate.com Editors

A Dutch political strategist has launched the Pink Army movement and is looking for gay soldiers to sue retired general John Sheehan, who last week blamed the Netherlands' inclusion of gays in the military for massive deaths during the war in Bosnia.

Peter Schouten put out the call for gay soldiers on the website PinkArmy.nl. He said he wants Sheehan to publish a full-page apology in the international press — and attend a course in "sensitivity training."

On Friday, Dutch prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende condemned Sheehan's comments, calling them "outrageous, wrong, and beneath contempt."

:D

What is wrong with you?

Martinus

Alcibiades

Martinus is retarded.

Edit:  And I have never heard of it either.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2010, 10:37:53 AM
I think it's more of a Hillbilly thing.

First time I heard it was here a year or two ago, from Seedy.  They generally don't get too creative with racial epithets in West Virginia, so all I ever heard was the n-word.  I heard quite a few whenever we traveled down South, though they were so puzzling I usually had to ask someone what they meant.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Never heard of it.

Probably no code phrase that lacks racial overtones is even possible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!