Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2009, 01:23:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2009, 01:16:05 AM
More like :yeah:

Man i lost any respect I had for berkut with this revelation.

I'm no Yankees fan, but come on.  They were playing Philadelphia, and no city has worse sports fans than Philly, not even Dallas or Boston.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2009, 09:59:11 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2009, 08:45:30 AM
If they're the sort of people who care about baseball, they're not worth dealing with in the first place.  Just execute them.

That said, this is the best possible result.  The retards of the Boston sports market will be devastated.

The retards of the Boston sports market are like a billion times smarter than you since they do not insist on posting in sports threads just to be announce you don't like the sport in question...as if we give a rats ass.
Every one of you cares about what I have to say about every topic on which I opine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2009, 09:22:43 AM
Freaking Brad Lidge.  Now ARod is going to be a World Series hero  :x

Did not happen; nonetheless the myth of Alex Rodriguez, postseason choke artist is finally put to rest.

Here are his career regular season numbers and postseason numbers (Batting avg/OBP/Slugging):
.305/.390/.576
.302/.409/.568
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2009, 05:06:25 PM
Slugging?

Total bases/at bats. It's like batting average with extra credit for power hitters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2009, 02:27:58 PM
Did not happen; nonetheless the myth of Alex Rodriguez, postseason choke artist is finally put to rest.

Here are his career regular season numbers and postseason numbers (Batting avg/OBP/Slugging):
.305/.390/.576
.302/.409/.568
Lucky for A that he turned it on in the last three games, otherwise he would have gotten the rep of "great in the playoffs, chokes in the Series."

Syt

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/february/02/madden-save-your-bucks-mario-not-the-bucs.html

QuoteSave your bucks, Mario, not the Bucs

By: Mark MaddenBeaver County Times
Tuesday February 2, 2010 10:15 AM

Memo to Mario: Don't buy the Pirates.

You've made a success of the Penguins, competitively and financially. Much of it was your loyalty to Pittsburgh and your jersey, much of it was your golden touch - winners win - and we can't underestimate the finances and business acumen of Ron Burkle, a Pittsburgh hero in his own right.

But some of it was luck. Good timing, anyway.

You won the Sidney Crosby lottery. You got a new building. You acquired the Penguins not long before NHL owners and players agreed - grudgingly on the latter's part - that cost certainty was a necessity if small-market teams were going to survive, let alone prosper.

The owners and players of Major League Baseball show no sign of reaching such a realization.

Ergo, one of three things can happen if you and Burkle buy the Bucs:

l You can spend millions, win, and eke out a marginal profit.

l You can spend millions, lose, and watch your fortune dwindle.

l You can run the Pirates the way the Nuttings do, clear $9 million or so per year, and tarnish your spotless image.

None of these options seem all that attractive, not even the first. Lemieux and Burkle have resources to rival many in baseball, but the financial return in Pittsburgh will be limited no matter how well the Pirates do.

Witness three straight National League East titles in 1990, '91 and '92, but they still couldn't afford to keep anybody.

You've perfected the savior game. But this is beyond you. The Pirates can't be saved. Set the bar low: Be as smart as Mark Cuban.

Baseball isn't like hockey. You don't draft ready-made stars, not even if you pick first overall. One or two great players can't turn a team around, or even come close. It takes time to build, there are no guarantees, the richest of the rich try to pick your carcass clean in the process and, thanks to the current ownership group, you would start from ground zero.

Advertisement  If you want a positive spin, here goes: If anybody can pull this off, it's Lemieux and Burkle. The marketing, promotion and sales synergy that would involve two of the city's three major sports teams would be very promising. Lemieux and Burkle could found their own cable network. Initial interest - hope sells - would produce increased financial windfall immediately. Lemieux and Burkle would eclipse the Rooney family as the No. 1 sports players in Pittsburgh.

But eventually, you have to win. How long would that take? Is it even possible?

The Nuttings look awful right now. Pirate Fest was turned into the Spanish Inquisition. One thing is certain: Lemieux and Burkle made a substantial offer to buy the Pirates at the beginning of this past fall. It was made face-to-face, but the Nuttings never got back to Lemieux and Burkle. Never returned subsequent calls. That's disrespectful, especially since Burkle could buy and sell the Nuttings several times over.

If I had to guess the leak, it's ex-CEO Kevin McClatchy, forced out by the Nuttings and still bitter.

Lemieux and Burkle still want the Pirates. The Nuttings don't want to sell. They want to keep milking that cash cow no matter how many losing seasons get tacked onto the existing 17-year streak of futility. That won't be easy to do with Pittsburgh's greatest sports legend ever looking over their shoulders.

Still, Mario should be careful what he wishes for.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I'm really looking forward to the baseball season.

Go Hyundai Unicrons! :w00t:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

The local pro team in Suwon is the Hyundai Unicorns.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Read what you originally wrote. ;)  Also, do they know they've been Taintedt(i)m yet?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 25, 2010, 05:40:10 AM
Read what you originally wrote. ;)  Also, do they know they've been Taintedt(i)m yet?

Awesome typo :lmfao:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Just checked the Austrian schedule. Games start on the 17th of April. Usually they're on saturdays. The Vienna teams (Wanderers, Bucks, Metrostars) make the Prater their home field, and one of them has home games every week. Games are usually played as doubleheaders.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The contrast is stunning and embarrassing.

Yesterday during the Twins ("my" AL team) spring training game they would keep cutting to the ticket centers at the new Target Field and it seemed somewhat busy, sales were seemingly going good. Also see: Coming into Saturday, half of all tickets were already sold after a record-setting campaign that saw the Twins sell 22,000 season tickets, twice as many as last year.

The Pirates ticket staff and commentators basically beg on their knees that someone please buy some tickets, because there's so many great budget plans, partial season tickets, and they seem more interested selling fireworks nights, bobbleheads nights, concerts etc. instead of the ballgames. So please, please, buy some tickets! :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

God, now they announce by name people who bought 10 game packages. :bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould