News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Amazing what happens when the Steinbrenner clan stays the fuck out of the way.  It's the same thing that happened in the build up to the mid 90's through 2000 run.  The Yankees build up a nice solid core of home grown talent and augment it with some average to decent team player veterans.  It's only when George got a hold of the club and decided to go on his mercenary hiring spending sprees that they sucked, a la the late 80's and early '00's.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

stjaba

Anyone else besides Minsky watching the World Series?

At first I was going for the Yankees since they're an AL team, it's actually been a while since they've won the World Series, Philadelphia beat my team in series last year, etc. Now that the Yankees have the lead, all those feelings are gone. I could really go for a Philadelphia come from behind victory. Still, if I had to pick between Boston and New York winning, I think I might still go with New York. Both fanbases have their negatives, but Boston's is worse IMO.

stjaba

Is it me, or does CC Sabathia bear a striking resemblence to Forest Whittaker?

Barrister

Well they're both black... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

He reminds me of the police captain in Last Action Hero.

Neil

Are the Yankees winning the series?  It's impossible to find out using the Internet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Yanks up 2-1, 4th game in progress.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

stjaba

And the Yankees win game 5, so they're up 3-1. Normally, I'd lose all hope, but the Yankees are more than capable of blowing a big series lead**cough** 2004 ALCS **cough**

Syt

Quote from: stjaba on November 01, 2009, 08:46:12 PM

At first I was going for the Yankees since they're an AL team, it's actually been a while since they've won the World Series, Philadelphia beat my team in series last year, etc. Now that the Yankees have the lead, all those feelings are gone. I could really go for a Philadelphia come from behind victory. Still, if I had to pick between Boston and New York winning, I think I might still go with New York. Both fanbases have their negatives, but Boston's is worse IMO.

Following the results/game recaps on SI as the games are in the middle of the night. Though I tend to watch a bit of the reruns on ESPN over here if they're on after work.

I want both teams to lose. I dislike Phillies, Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers ... I could have lived with the Angels or Twins winning it, but how likely would that have been?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2009, 03:19:41 AM
Quote from: stjaba on November 01, 2009, 08:46:12 PM

Following the results/game recaps on SI as the games are in the middle of the night. Though I tend to watch a bit of the reruns on ESPN over here if they're on after work.

I want both teams to lose. I dislike Phillies, Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers ... I could have lived with the Angels or Twins winning it, but how likely would that have been?
The Angeles have won recently.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Freaking Brad Lidge.  Now ARod is going to be a World Series hero  :x
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2009, 09:22:43 AM
Freaking Brad Lidge.  Now ARod is going to be a World Series hero  :x
Insofar as such a thing is possible.  Remember:  It's baseball, and is thus not much of an achievement.  The only reason that this will be sweet is as a fuck you to the city of Boston.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 02, 2009, 03:21:40 AM
The Angeles have won recently.

7 years ago. Which, incidentally, was also the last time they won the AL.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."