Catholic kiddie fiddlers part 1463: Victims react to pontiff's letter

Started by Martinus, March 22, 2010, 05:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on March 29, 2010, 02:34:22 PM
I suppose that's possible, but I believe the Church always wants to take care of these matters "internally" rather than cooperate with law enforcement when a priest is investigated.

I think this is a case where truly the best way to spur the Church to action would be for people to close their wallets until meaningful action was taken.  I think eventually something like this will occur on a large enough scale to force change.  Maybe that's what you meant though.

At a certain age, people need to choose to be members of a religion, and then to remain a member. Who wants to chose a religion where the "infallible" leader protects child molestors? It isn't just a financial matter--a significant decline in influence of the Catholic Church is a big deal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2010, 03:02:37 PM
I suppose that's possible, but I believe the Church always wants to take care of these matters "internally" rather than cooperate with law enforcement when a priest is investigated.

I think this is a case where truly the best way to spur the Church to action would be for people to close their wallets until meaningful action was taken.  I think eventually something like this will occur on a large enough scale to force change.  Maybe that's what you meant though.

At a certain age, people need to choose to be members of a religion, and then to remain a member. Who wants to chose a religion where the "infallible" leader protects child molestors? It isn't just a financial matter--a significant decline in influence of the Catholic Church is a big deal.

That's a very American approach. Most Catholics in Catholic countries do not think in these categories.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2010, 03:32:44 PM
That's a very American approach. Most Catholics in Catholic countries do not think in these categories.

Perhaps they should.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2010, 03:36:00 PM

Perhaps they should.

You can't think when you're in the arms of nuclear fire.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Sure they do. Maybe not in terms of being a Catholic converting to being a Lutheran, but at least in Europe it is a minority that remain practicing Catholics. People have made a choice to be secular and humanist in their views of the world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2010, 03:48:40 PM

Sure they do. Maybe not in terms of being a Catholic converting to being a Lutheran, but at least in Europe it is a minority that remain practicing Catholics. People have made a choice to be secular and humanist in their views of the world.

Yes, but they are still catholic. They still baptize their children, get married, bury their dead etc. That's the main source of bling for the church, not the platter collection.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2010, 04:00:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2010, 03:48:40 PM

Yes, but they are still catholic. They still baptize their children, get married, bury their dead etc. That's the main source of bling for the church, not the platter collection.

If that is what Catholicism is reduced to, then who cares? The Church would be irrelevant as a political force.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2010, 03:02:37 PM

More than half of Guatemala has converted to Evangelical Christianity. I think Evangelicals top 10% in every Latin American country now, these kinds of scandals will just accelerate this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point