Another "duh" discovery: marriage leads to obesity

Started by Martinus, March 22, 2010, 02:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7480903/Married-people-twice-as-likely-to-be-fat.html

QuoteMarried people 'twice as likely to be fat'
Married people are twice as likely to become obese than their single counterparts, scientists claim.

By Andrew Hough
Published: 8:00AM GMT 20 Mar 2010

Greek researchers found that married couples were more likely to become fat due to their significantly changed lifestyle as they "let themselves go".

Married men are three times as likely to suffer obesity while married women are twice as likely to have weight problems, it found.

The research, based on the study of more than 17,000 couples aged between 20 and 70, found that married couples exercised less frequently, had less sex, had poor nutrition and were "comfortable" in their lives.

Married couples spend more time eating together, sit in front of the TV more and often order takeaway ready meals while exercising less.

Scientists from Salonica and Ioannina Universities, who presented their research on Friday to the Panhellenic Medical Conference, in Athens, concluded that "abdominal obesity, or belly fat" was the worst problem among married people.

Prof Dimitris Kiortsis, one of the study's co-authors, said that obesity was found to be directly related to a change in lifestyle.

Prof Kiortsis, from Ioannina University who is also president of the Hellenic Medical Association for Obesity, said most married couples also have less sex, which is considered intense exercise that burns calories.

He said that unmarried individuals originally spend a lot of time keeping fit and making themselves attractive in order to find a partner "but once they get married they let themselves go".

"The need to hunt for a partner is reduced," he said.

"Stress and anxiety is reduced in a good marriage, there is less smoking, and therefore one's appetite increases."

The study advised married couples to take up more exercise, to have only one home-cooked meal a day, to avoid snacks, and to follow a Mediterranean diet which includes a lot of fruit, vegetables and olive oil.

Prof Dimitris Papazoglou, the other co-author from Salonica University, added: "If one of the partners decides to go on a diet, then the other partner also often follows."

"Obesity is the biggest threat to public health in the entire world", he said.

Adults in Britain are recommended to take 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise on at least five days a week.

Latest figures show that one in four people in Britain are obese.

Eight in 10 men and almost 7 in 10 women will be overweight or obese by 2020 and cases of devastating health conditions like heart disease, diabetes and stroke will increase with the nation's waistlines, the recent Government-commissioned Foresight report warned.

Yet another reason why fighting for gay marriage may be a bad thing. :unsure:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2010, 02:56:30 AM
How much fighting have you been doing?

I signed a bunch of petitions, donated and been to a rally. :P

DisturbedPervert

"The need to hunt for a partner is reduced," he said.

There's still mistresses to hunt for

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2010, 03:08:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2010, 02:56:30 AM
How much fighting have you been doing?

I signed a bunch of petitions, donated and been to a rally. :P

That's a lot of fighting.

Did you get R&R leave half-way through that deployment?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Brazen

It's not that marriage leads to obesity. It's that single and divorced people can't afford food.

Valmy

I guess it depends on the person Marty.  Actually having somebody to look good for makes a difference to me.  :showoff:

I weigh less now than I did when I was dating.  When I was single I was far more prone to depression and wasting entire days sitting in front of the computer playing games.  Being lonely sucks ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Brazen on March 22, 2010, 07:50:16 AM
It's not that marriage leads to obesity. It's that single and divorced people can't afford food.
:console:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martim Silva

Quote from: Valmy
I weigh less now than I did when I was dating.  When I was single I was far more prone to depression and wasting entire days sitting in front of the computer playing games. 

I think we're getting somewhere here:

Depresson causes weight gain.

Married men are three times more likely to be obese.

The logical conclusion...

Malthus

Heh, maybe we should all take up smoking.  :D

Quote"Stress and anxiety is reduced in a good marriage, there is less smoking, and therefore one's appetite increases."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

I meet 'em skinny and they stay that way. Am I: a cause of stress and anxiety?  :D

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 22, 2010, 09:10:14 AM
Depresson causes weight gain.

Actually depression simply tends to cause weight change.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 22, 2010, 09:17:58 AM

Quote"Stress and anxiety is reduced in a good marriage, there is less smoking, and therefore one's appetite increases."

Just stop having a good marriage so as to increase stress and anxiety.  Should do wonders.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2010, 01:11:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 22, 2010, 09:17:58 AM

Just stop having a good marriage so as to increase stress and anxiety.  Should do wonders.

Taking up smoking again should do the trick. That would certainly put my wife right off and cause her to nag me ceaselessly - mission accomplished.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius