News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK terrorism on the rise

Started by Alexandru H., March 21, 2010, 12:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

QuoteTom Shaw thrown off train at Fareham for writing down song by The Killers

A HAMPSHIRE musician was forced off a train for "behaving suspiciously" - by writing down a list of songs.

Bassist Tom Shaw, who also works as a support worker for young people with disabilities in Southampton, said he was approached by two security staff and asked to explain his actions as he compiled a playlist for his band's forthcoming gig.

The list contained the word "killers", because his group, The Magic Mushrooms, cover The Killers' hit All These Things That I've Done as part of their set.

Click below to see a video of today's headlines in sixty seconds

As his train arrived at Fareham railway station, two South West Trains officials asked him to get off, saying he had been behaving suspiciously and asking him to explain what he had been writing.

Other songs on his list included Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, Cigarettes and Alcohol by Oasis and Love Me Like You by The Magic Numbers.

The 25-year-old said he was told he was questioned because there had been several arrests in the area, including a man who had murdered his wife.

He was made to explain what each song on his list meant.

A South West Trains spokeswoman said Mr Shaw was asked politely to leave the train because it was busy and the officers wished to speak to him about their concerns.

She added: "We employ a team of highly professional rail community officers who work closely with the British Transport Police in protecting the security of passengers on the rail network.

"During a routine high-visibility patrol back in early March, they talked with a passenger on the platform at Fareham station.

"The team clarified the nature of the individual's business, were satisfied with his explanation and the man went on his way.

"We would like to thank the passenger for his co-operation and understanding of the need to be vigilant in the current environment."

From http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/district/southampton/5066672.Musician_thrown_off_train_for_writing_down_song_titles/

Richard Hakluyt

The "current environment" of the lowest terrorism in the UK for 40 years.

The Brain

Haven't really listened to The Killers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

These stories worry me. As I always behave pretty damn suspiciously.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Why would a band have a name like The Killers?

Musicians are generally too weak to kill.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Not sure what "UK terrorism on the rise" was intended to mean, but the message the title sends is "Romanian pinheadism on the rise."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

That may be the least interesting story I've ever read.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BuddhaRhubarb

I think the thread title may have been facetious. You see at least one story like this from the UK everyday, on the interwebs. Apparently the fearmongers have won. That is if you believe the stories you read on the interwebs.
:p

grumbler

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 21, 2010, 02:38:42 PM
I think the thread title may have been facetious.
Facetious or pinheaded, for sure.  With Alex it would be a unique thing for it to be the former, so i will hope you are right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

I think the thread title may have been facetious. You see at least one story like this from the UK everyday, on the interwebs. Apparently the fearmongers have won. That is if you believe the stories you read on the interwebs.

Yes, though I'm unsure how seriously to take it. There are 61m people in the country and I get the impression that the media desperately trawl for stories like this. One wonders if all these stories couldn't be reduced to "A small percentage of British officials are officious jerks" and left at that  :hmm:

I would also assume that "highly professional rail community officers" = guys on minimum wage who couldn't get into the police force, though that may be unfair.

At the purely anecdotal level life seems much the same as it ever was; one takes photos or writes notes with nobody taking the least bit of interest  :huh:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2010, 03:18:30 PM

Yes, though I'm unsure how seriously to take it. There are 61m people in the country and I get the impression that the media desperately trawl for stories like this. One wonders if all these stories couldn't be reduced to "A small percentage of British officials are officious jerks" and left at that  :hmm:

I would also assume that "highly professional rail community officers" = guys on minimum wage who couldn't get into the police force, though that may be unfair.

At the purely anecdotal level life seems much the same as it ever was; one takes photos or writes notes with nobody taking the least bit of interest  :huh:

I read the Daily Mail for my England on the brink news.  :)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

I'm a big fan of the Daily Mail as well  :D

I genuinely think that it is very good at what it does; it's just a shame that what it does is so ..............evil?

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2010, 03:23:28 PM

I get all my knowledge about Amerikkka from HufPo and Daily Kos. :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2010, 03:38:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2010, 03:23:28 PM

I get all my knowledge about Amerikkka from HufPo and Daily Kos. :)

there is your problem.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

If they got the fuck out of Northern Ireland, they wouldn't have these problems.  But they never learn.

UK OUT OF IRELAND
IRELAND FOR THE IRISH
GO IRISH BEAT SOUTHERN CAL