News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

House to vote on health care reform Sunday.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2010, 07:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 21, 2010, 11:31:52 PM
While 97% is awfully high, it is still less than a 100%.  Of course, the gov't shouldn't be in the business of providing student loans, or guaranteeing them.  It just feeds the wastefullness of the higher ed biz.
So in other words, bundled up in your statement, you're saying:

1) The government shouldn't be helping make education affordable for Americans.

2) There is waste in higher education. Since this would cut out middle men responsible for the vast majority of loans, it seems like this would save money.

Hansmeister

Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2010, 11:35:16 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 21, 2010, 11:31:52 PM
While 97% is awfully high, it is still less than a 100%.
:lmfao: Yes, that last 3% will really push things over the top, and vastly outstrip the amount of subsidy that goes to the banks.
A three percent loss is a three percent loss.  It is not a great deterrent against irresponsible lending, but a better deterrent than zero.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Faeelin on March 21, 2010, 11:40:26 PM
So in other words, bundled up in your statement, you're saying:

1) The government shouldn't be helping make education affordable for Americans.

2) There is waste in higher education. Since this would cut out middle men responsible for the vast majority of loans, it seems like this would save money.
1) The gov't isn't making higher education "more affordable", it is fueling price inflation by artificially inflating demand to the point were half of the people going to college won't graduate and half of the graduate will have a diploma in a field for which there is no demand while burdening them with massive debt.

2) The gov't has no idea how to manage risk, which will lead to higher rates of default and increased losses, thereby increasing cost. 

DGuller

Doesn't the government already make all the decisions?  However bad the decisions are when it comes to managing risk, they're not going to get worse, they're already all made by the government.

Zanza

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 21, 2010, 11:31:52 PMOf course, the gov't shouldn't be in the business of providing student loans, or guaranteeing them.  It just feeds the wastefullness of the higher ed biz.
What would be the proper role of government in tertiary education? Do you think that state universities make sense?

Jaron

Today we are ALL Democrats! Congratulations to my fellow countrymen on our victory tonight :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

LOL classy

Quote11:08 p.m.: CNN's Brianna Keilar reports: A Republican lawmaker shouted out "baby killer" as Rep. Bart Stupak explained why he would not support the motion to recommit.
Stupak sponsored an amendment in the House bill that included tougher language on restricting federal funding of abortions.
Stupak decided to support the Senate bill after President Obama said he would sign an executive order that would make sure the health care reform law would be consistent with current restrictions on federal funding for abortions.

:D

Jaron

It is a MSM lie set up by dishonest Democrats
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Hans, what about these signs? Also photoshopped by MSM?

For the record, the "browning" poster seems dangerously close to a criminal threat or an incitement to violence.

Eddie Teach

Whoever designed that donkey poster is a jackass. :x
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 22, 2010, 05:34:40 AM
Whoever designed that donkey poster is a jackass. :x

Well it may be stupid but at least it is not criminal. Unless the other one which pretty much threatens murder.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on March 21, 2010, 08:21:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2010, 07:17:51 PM
There's an article on the back page of the NYT by a former OMB director that says the bill will actually increase the deficit by 586 billion.
I am going with 674 skajillian dollars, myself.

There are three kinds of lies:  Lies, Hans's "truths," and government cost projections.
I'm fairly confident it will end up being closer to 586 billion than to 674 skajillian.

Scipio

As long as I get to keep my HSA, I don't fucking care.  My S Corp doesn't make a lot of money anyway.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 21, 2010, 06:27:32 PM
Well, here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCs6pSE8_I&feature=player_embedded.

yep, there were no racist remarks, a pure race-baiting invention by the CBC.
No evidence of you firing your boss, either, so this video also proves that claim by you a lie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points