Everybody has a sex tape these days (now: 82 yo Brazilian catholic priest)

Started by Martinus, March 19, 2010, 10:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteBrazil Church Sex Scandal: Video Allegedly Shows Priest Abusing Altar Boy

RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazilian authorities are investigating three priests accused of sexually abusing altar boys after a video allegedly showing one case of abuse was broadcast on television, police and church officials said Tuesday.

The case came to light after the SBT network aired a video purportedly showing an 82-year-old priest having sex with a 19-year-old altar boy who worked for him for four years. Other young men appeared on the report saying that they, too, had been abused by Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa.

Also under investigation are Monsignor Raimundo Gomes, 52, and Father Edilson Duarte, 43, for allegedly having sexual relations with boys and young men.

According to a statement from the church, the three priests are "supposedly involved in acts (yet to be proven) of sexual abuse." The statement did not say whether the men admit or deny guilt. None of the priests could be located to ask about the case, and the church would not provide contact details for them.

A church official in the Penedo archdiocese, in the northeastern state of Alagoas, said the three have been suspended. A police official said the men are free pending the investigation, which should last until the end of April. Both the church official and the policeman spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said officials there were aware of the case.

In its report last week, SBT showed footage of a man who looks like Barbosa having sex with the 19-year-old. It said the footage was secretly filmed in January 2009 by a 21-year-old man who charges Barbosa had abused him since age 12.

SBT said the video was sent anonymously to the network, and reporters went to the town of 200,000 people to investigate last month.

An SBT reporter visited Barbosa's house to conduct an interview and confront him with the allegations.

Before raising the allegations of sexual abuse, the reporter asks if the priest had ever sinned.

"Who has never committed a sin?" Barbosa responds.

The priest is then asked if the region has problems with pedophilia.

"I think it is more (a problem) of homosexuality than pedophilia," Barbosa says.

Asked directly if he ever abused boys, Barbosa says he could only answer such a question "in confession." He then ends the interview, which was aired Thursday and posted on SBT's YouTube page.

Bishop Valerio Breda released a statement saying that in light of the "grave and lamentable facts made public on television," Barbosa and the two other priests had been suspended.

"We reproach, without restriction and with hearts broken by shame and sadness, the facts in the report which, despite their not having been proven, have outraged human and Christian conscience," Breda wrote.

He added that none of the alleged victims or their families had ever contacted the church regarding the allegations of abuse.

Breda said the church was cooperating with police and would also conduct its own investigation.

The church said it would not comment further on the case.
:lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/17/brazil-catholic-church-se_n_502252.html

Is catholic church: imploding? :D

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Grallon

19 yo is hardly a 'boy'  :rolleyes:  Though in that particular case it started at 12 apparently.  Still you will note that the 'game' continued *after* he became of age...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 19, 2010, 10:45:43 AM
:huh:  End clerical celibacy already.

Different issues.  I agree with ending clerical celibacy, but that won't, in and of itself, eliminate pedophilia, just as the general population can marry, yet still have a number of pedophiles in their ranks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on March 19, 2010, 11:08:47 AM
19 yo is hardly a 'boy'  :rolleyes:  Though in that particular case it started at 12 apparently.  Still you will note that the 'game' continued *after* he became of age...
G.
Nathalie Simard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Is there a reason you're trying to dig up support for Neil's homosexuality = pedophilia thesis?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2010, 03:09:17 PM
I want to be able to still get it up when I'm 82 years old.

What for?  It's not like it's doing you much good now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2010, 09:50:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2010, 03:09:17 PM
I want to be able to still get it up when I'm 82 years old.

What for?  It's not like it's doing you much good now.
All the more reason to want it.  I want to be up to the task when the time comes.

Razgovory

Eh, it just seems odd to worry about something on the off chance you may use it in 50 years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2010, 12:32:32 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 19, 2010, 10:45:43 AM
:huh:  End clerical celibacy already.

Different issues.  I agree with ending clerical celibacy, but that won't, in and of itself, eliminate pedophilia, just as the general population can marry, yet still have a number of pedophiles in their ranks.

Well, it is unlikely to eliminate pedophilia completely (no steps in any organization could guarantee that), but I think it seems likely if you open up the priesthood to married men with outlets for their sexuality, you'll find fewer repressed whackjobs in the ranks of priests.