News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I reenlisted for 3 more years

Started by Siege, March 18, 2010, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I just signed the papers. I didn't get any money because Im still in my A Zone (first 6 years of service), until March 2011. So, my new ETS (Estimated Time of Separation) is March 2013, when I'm gonna be well into my B Zone (6 to 10 years of service) and get another fat bonus.

What a did get was my choice of duty station, and I convinced my wife to go to Fort Campbel, Kentucky. She wanted to go to Fort Benning, Georgia, to be closer to Miami and her family, but Benning sucks, they only have mechanized infantry, and I wanted to be Light Infantry. Therefore, we are going to Fort Campbell, to the 101st Airborne Division, the famous "Screaming Eagles" of Band Of Brothers fame.

A couple pictures below.

From the recent R&R leave, when we went cruising with America Holland Line:

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Great shorts for cruising. :)

Wasn't Hendrix in the 101st btw?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

AnchorClanker

Good luck, and good call.  Campbell beats Benning any day of the week.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Berkut

What in gods name does NOT beat Benning any day of the week?

Maybe Leavenworth, and even then only if you are an inmate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

In completely unrelated news, the Chinese flow of intelligence regarding American infantry tactics and equipment, as well as anything sensitive that Siegebreaker is exposed to, has just been secured until March 2013.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Berkut on March 18, 2010, 02:49:34 PM

Fort Polk in Louisiana is the worst, from anecdotal evidence...
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Jacob

Good luck.  I take it this means some time training with your new unit before you go somewhere to actually shoot at people again?

Siege

Fort Polk is definitively the worst I've seen.

I was considering Fort Stewart in Georgia, because is only 5 hours from Miami, but Stewart has the same problem than Benning, in that the only unit in there, the 3rd Infantry Division, is Mechanized Infantry. The good thing about Benning is that all the schools are over there, and I could get a gig as an instructor at the Sniper School. I will probably do that, after I deploy to Afghanistan. That's reason number one why I choosed Campbell.

My deployment to Afghanistan have been secured. There are only 3 units that are 100% sure to deploy to afghanistan: The 10th Mountain, the 82nd Airborne, and the 101st Airborne. The 10th Mountain is way too cold for me (based at Fort Drum, New York), the 82nd Airborne too squared away (the discipline is ranger stupid), and that leaves the 101st as my only choice.

So, I'm trying to place myself in the right spot to deploy to Afghanistan. Despite of what you might think, not everybody is going to Afghanistan. The Heavy Brigades are either staying home or going to Kuwait for Theater Reserve. I even hear that some units might deploy again to friggin Iraq, not as combat units, but to train the iraqis. So this could get really gay. Only the Light Infantry is going to Afghanistan for sure, and this time no friggin Sergeant Major is going to stop me from tourin the Land Of The Afghans, like my stupid Brigade Sergeant Major did last year when I volunteered to go with the 5th Brigade to Kandahar, and he didn't let me.

Life is about placing yourself in the right spot, and hoping that you are there at the right time.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: SiegeIm still in my A Zone (first 6 years of service), until March 2011

Huh.  For some reason I thought you'd been in the (US) Army for longer than that.  Anyway, cheers and good luck with everything.

Ed Anger

Quote from: AnchorClanker on March 18, 2010, 03:03:11 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 18, 2010, 02:49:34 PM

Fort Polk in Louisiana is the worst, from anecdotal evidence...

its a wet heat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2010, 02:18:16 PM
You're a para? :unsure:

The 101st hasn't been Airborne since Vietnam.  They are now an "Air Assault" Division.  Or as we Airborne call it "Too scared to jump, too lazy to walk".

Jacob

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 18, 2010, 04:58:07 PMThe 101st hasn't been Airborne since Vietnam.  They are now an "Air Assault" Division.  Or as we Airborne call it "Too scared to jump, too lazy to walk".

Airborne PSYOP, huh?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.