Turkey threatens to expel 100,000 Armenians

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2010, 12:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2010, 04:05:09 PM
In my current Armenia game in EU: Rome, a scythian dude grabbed the throne in civil war :perv:

His grandson has armenian culture however, so things should be back to normal in two generations.
Happens in all my Armenian games in EU:Rome.  That shouldn't be that surprising; both Turkey and Hungary are located bordering the Steppe zone, and have pockets of Steppe ecosystem (I was recently very surprised by just how steppe-like the country around modern Konya is-no wonder the Seljuks liked it so much!).  They were probably homes to the first Indo-European settlers of those corners of the European continent (in the case of Anatolia, this would be the Hittites, in the Pannonian basin we'd see some of the peoples who would eventually become Celts and Italians, maybe mixed with Germans and now assimilated peoples), and not coincidentally they were home to the first non-Indo-European invaders from the steppe. 

Traditionally this was one of the great advantages of the Armenian and Georgian kingdoms; they were able to draw simultaneously on native, semi-Roman/Celt style heavy infantry traditions, as well as steppe archery, both mounted and dismounted.  On a few occasions the Georgians purposefully settled pagan Turks in his kingdom so as to have the best possible antidote to Seljuk raids.  Russians did something pretty similar several different times.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

For the record, I do believe we are finno-ugric and not some scythian/persian offshoots, but the culture (most of it was destroyed by force-converting to christianity anyways) had to come from the scythians. Even serious researchers of the topic note that much (evidence points to us leaving the Urals for the steppes when the Scythians ruled it, so it had to be them from whom we learned the ropes).

garbon

Spellus feels free to alter his family's origins to whatever seems convenient? I'm shocked.  Hymen-mania, my ass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on March 19, 2010, 08:22:53 AM
This reminds me that earlier (like, my great grandpa) my family's last name had the part in it which translates to "Czech Priest" now, the story my grandpa told my father was that this was actually attached because of an actual czech priest who came and settled here.
My grandma's version, however, and it does sound more probable, is that simply one of my (not that distant) ancestors had parents named "Czech" and "Priest" hence the name :P

In other words, you don't need to be American to have family legends of exotic ancestry :P
Having a Czech ancestor is exotic for a Hungarian?  :huh:

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2010, 08:10:14 AM
If someone looks Jewish/Armenian/Welsh/Irish/Basque I think that it is safe to say that he could just as well be any other European heritage. should be on a no-fly list

FYP :P

Eddie Teach

Slavs really have no business looking down on Celts. :scots:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on March 22, 2010, 01:54:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 19, 2010, 08:22:53 AM
This reminds me that earlier (like, my great grandpa) my family's last name had the part in it which translates to "Czech Priest" now, the story my grandpa told my father was that this was actually attached because of an actual czech priest who came and settled here.
My grandma's version, however, and it does sound more probable, is that simply one of my (not that distant) ancestors had parents named "Czech" and "Priest" hence the name :P

In other words, you don't need to be American to have family legends of exotic ancestry :P
Having a Czech ancestor is exotic for a Hungarian?  :huh:

Nah but there was some exotic story made up for it like political/religious refugee or somesuch

Martinus

Anyway, I think it's a sensible move on the Turkish prime minister's part.

Next, Poland should threaten to put all remaining Jews into camps if people don't stop accusing us of antisemitism.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2010, 04:59:42 AM
Anyway, I think it's a sensible move on the Turkish prime minister's part.

Next, Poland should threaten to put all remaining Jews into camps if people don't stop accusing us of antisemitism.

Now, THAT would be a shitstorm. The US would be all over Poland for that. Mass outrage, possibly even military action. Siege would be on the front line of the invasion.

But Armenians... they're not Jewish, so America doesn't care.

Heck, the proposal to consider what the Ottomans did to the Armenians as a "genocide" won't even pass the House, and US business leaders are against it.

Camerus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2010, 01:41:33 PM
For the record, I do believe we are finno-ugric and not some scythian/persian offshoots, but the culture (most of it was destroyed by force-converting to christianity anyways) had to come from the scythians. Even serious researchers of the topic note that much (evidence points to us leaving the Urals for the steppes when the Scythians ruled it, so it had to be them from whom we learned the ropes).
Artistically, culturally, materially, spiritually and in no small part genetically the Turks, Mongols and Magyars were descendants of the previous Indo-European peoples.  This is particularly true of the Hungarians, thanks in part to the Jassic people.

Basically, every non-Basque linguistic group in West and Central Eurasia north of Arab Iraq were, at some point, pastoralists on the Steppe who came off and settled.  The Turks and Magyars were just late to the game. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

The Celts came off of the steppes?  I thought they were in southern Europe at least as far back as the end of the last ice age.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Hey Squeelus, when did the gypsies show up?