Turkey threatens to expel 100,000 Armenians

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2010, 12:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Neil on March 18, 2010, 06:37:44 AM
Quote from: Sahib on March 18, 2010, 06:09:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2010, 04:08:45 AM
Hey, maybe the Euros will be more inclined to let the Turks in the EU if the Turks go through with the ethnic cleansing.

This post doesn't make any sense, but then it's your post so it's expected.
They let in Germany and Poland, so why not Turkey?

German Cheques and not even Poland is muslim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Queequeg

Paternal grandmother's ancestry is unsure.  Adopted by somewhat crazy-ass hill folk in Idaho in the Depression.  We've thought Armenian previously (my dad looks part or wholly Jewish or Armenian, so does a lot of that side), now we are thinking Basque, or some particularly dark Welsh or Irish. 

That said,  always claimed the majority of my stock was Anglo. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Zanza

If someone looks Jewish/Armenian/Welsh/Irish/Basque I think that it is safe to say that he could just as well be any other European heritage.

Tamas

This reminds me that earlier (like, my great grandpa) my family's last name had the part in it which translates to "Czech Priest" now, the story my grandpa told my father was that this was actually attached because of an actual czech priest who came and settled here.
My grandma's version, however, and it does sound more probable, is that simply one of my (not that distant) ancestors had parents named "Czech" and "Priest" hence the name :P

In other words, you don't need to be American to have family legends of exotic ancestry :P

Queequeg

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2010, 08:10:14 AM
If someone looks Jewish/Armenian/Welsh/Irish/Basque I think that it is safe to say that he could just as well be any other European heritage.
Clearly you don't know enough about Mormon obsession with ancestry.  Family and roots are invented and hypothesized if they do not exist.  I liked the Armenian theory for obvious reasons. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

:huh: The Mormons are indeed obsessed with ancestry (ancestral baptism :bleeding: ^ :bleeding: ), but I didn't think they were known for making shit up if they hit dead ends as part of their meticulous research...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2010, 07:30:56 AM
Paternal grandmother's ancestry is unsure.  Adopted by somewhat crazy-ass hill folk in Idaho in the Depression.  We've thought Armenian previously (my dad looks part or wholly Jewish or Armenian, so does a lot of that side), now we are thinking Basque, or some particularly dark Welsh or Irish. 

That said,  always claimed the majority of my stock was Anglo.
Squeelus is Melungian!!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2010, 08:34:18 AM
:huh: The Mormons are indeed obsessed with ancestry (ancestral baptism :bleeding: ^ :bleeding: ), but I didn't think they were known for making shit up if they hit dead ends as part of their meticulous research...
In retrospect, the fact that my grandmother is a disturbed individual likely has more to do with it than her creed.  Always kind of thought it was the Mormon thing, though. 

Tamas

In my current Armenia game in EU: Rome, a scythian dude grabbed the throne in civil war :perv:

His grandson has armenian culture however, so things should be back to normal in two generations.

citizen k

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2010, 07:30:56 AM
Paternal grandmother's ancestry is unsure.  Adopted by somewhat crazy-ass hill folk in Idaho in the Depression.  We've thought Armenian previously (my dad looks part or wholly Jewish or Armenian, so does a lot of that side), now we are thinking Basque,

I'm familiar with Idaho history and the Basque ancestry is entirely plausible.