News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama denies crisis with Israel

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2010, 12:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Usually whenever one has to deny that there's a crisis, there's a crisis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8573760.stm
QuoteUS President Barack Obama denies crisis with Israel

US President Barack Obama has denied there is a crisis in Washington's ties with Israel over its settlement plans, as a war of words continues.

"Friends are going to disagree sometimes," he said, days after one of his top aides strongly attacked plans for 1,600 new homes in East Jerusalem.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu has distanced himself from an attack on Mr Obama by his brother-in-law.

Hagai Ben-Artzi had accused the US leader of being anti-Semitic.

Mr Netanyahu said he "strenuously" objected to his brother-in-law's comment and expressed his "deep appreciation" for Mr Obama's commitment to Israel's security.

Israel's approval of the new homes came after both sides agreed to hold indirect "proximity talks" to revive the peace process, stalled for more than a year.

'Special bond'

Speaking on the Fox News Channel, Mr Obama said on Wednesday that the new settlement homes were "not helpful" for building a peace agreement between Israelis and Palestinians.
Benjamin Netanyahu (14 March 2010)
Mr Netanyahu said Mr Obama was commited to Israeli security

While he said the plan was a poor choice for Israel, he added: "Israel is one of our closest allies and we and the Israeli people have a special bond that's not going to go away."

Israel announced the Jewish settlement expansion as US Vice-President Joe Biden arrived for a visit last week.

The Palestinian Authority has refused to resume direct talks with Israel because of its refusal to put a stop to the expansion of settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

In November, Israel announced a 10-month suspension of new building in the West Bank, under heavy US pressure. But it considers areas within the Jerusalem municipality as its territory and thus not subject to the restrictions.

Close to 500,000 Jews live in more than 100 settlements built since Israel's 1967 occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem. They are illegal under international law, although Israel disputes this.

'Anti-Semitic president'

In an interview with Israel Army Radio, Mr Ben-Artzi said Mr Netanyahu should learn from previous Israeli prime ministers.

"Once the Americans tried to intervene in anything related to Jerusalem we told them one simple word: 'No'," he said.

Mr Obama, he added, not only disliked Mr Netanyahu personally, but "dislikes the people of Israel".

"For 20 years, Obama sat with Reverend Jeremiah Wright, who is anti-Semitic, anti-Israeli, and anti-Jewish."

He said it was clear Mr Obama agreed with Rev Wright because he had remained a member of his congregation.

"Think about it. If you had heard of someone who for 20 years sat in church and heard anti-Semitic sermons and didn't get up to leave after two weeks, wouldn't you think he identifies with it?" he asked.

"As a politician running for presidency he had to hide it, but it comes out every time and I think we just have to say it plainly - there is an anti-Semitic president in America," he said.

"Unfortunately this creates a difficult situation for Israel, but we will never give up our deepest interests - Jerusalem and our ties with it."

Mr Obama broke with the Trinity United Church of Christ in 2008 after some of Rev Wright's controversial sermons emerged on the internet. In one, he said the 9/11 attacks were an example of "America's chickens coming home to roost".

"I have a deep appreciation for President Obama's commitment to Israel's security, which he has expressed many times," Mr Netanyahu said in a statement afterwards.

But despite the rebuke from his sister's husband, Mr Ben-Artzi repeated his criticism of Mr Obama in a later interview with Israel's Channel 2 television.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Imagine an American government where in order to stay in power and get anything done, the leader had to get clearance from Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck, and where Beck was Secretary of State and Robertson was Secretary of HUD and also headed up a substantially revamped, powerful and Cabinet level office of "faith-based" initiatives.

That would give you some idea about where the current Israeli government is now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Beck as secretary of state? Sounds like that would make a fine dark comedy by Kubrick.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 18, 2010, 08:54:02 AM
Imagine an American government where in order to stay in power and get anything done, the leader had to get clearance from Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck, and where Beck was Secretary of State and Robertson was Secretary of HUD and also headed up a substantially revamped, powerful and Cabinet level office of "faith-based" initiatives.

That would give you some idea about where the current Israeli government is now.
This has been true for several decades now.  That is why I have frequently asserted here that one must understand Israeli domestic politics to understand their foreign (or any other) policies.  This has not been a popular assertion with the pro-Israel lobby here, but I still think it is true.  Israel is no more a rational player in foreign affairs than most of its neighbors (and less one than, say, Canada, the US or most non-Med European countries).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The present coalition is an order of magnitude or so more dysfunctional than the usual train wreck of a government. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 18, 2010, 11:08:38 AM
The present coalition is an order of magnitude or so more dysfunctional than the usual train wreck of a government.
It is more satisfying to blame Netanyahu for that.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

You want to give up Yerushalayim?

With jews like you, who needs anti-semites.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

BuddhaRhubarb

Now he's starting to sound like a US President.
:p

viper37

Quote from: Siege on March 18, 2010, 11:51:06 AM

it wasn't entirely yours to begin with.
But since you and the Arabs can't play nice, I think we should give the entire country to Christians.  France gets the Israel part+Gaza, UK gets the West bank+East Jerusalem.

So no mortal ennemies there. Problem solved ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

This government has done more to put Israel's future at risk than all other post-67 Israeli governments combined.

And as an American and a serviceman, you should be outraged by the way that it has deliberately and pointlessly insulted the President and Secretary of State, thereby alienating Israeli's most constant and powerful ally.  Please get a grip.  And a clue.

BTW - congratulations on your re-enlistment.   ;)
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Just re-establish Kingdom of Jerusalem. :pope:

Eddie Teach

New York is the new Jewish holy city.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Is Siegebreaker a little...verklempt after Joans comment? :o
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 18, 2010, 03:13:15 PM

This government has done more to put Israel's future at risk than all other post-67 Israeli governments combined.

Previous israeli goverments didn't have to deal with a nuclear Iran and a radical lefty anti-semite in the White House.

QuoteAnd as an American and a serviceman, you should be outraged by the way that it has deliberately and pointlessly insulted the President and Secretary of State, thereby alienating Israeli's most constant and powerful ally.  Please get a grip.  And a clue.

Why? I didnt vote for Obama. I always knew he was a shitbag. The United States is a democracy, not some middle eastern dictatorship where you have to worship the President. He might be my commander in chief, but I serve the People of the United States.

QuoteBTW - congratulations on your re-enlistment.   ;)

Did you know that I have been longer with the US Army than I was with the IDF active duty?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jaron

You do not serve the people. You serve the Commander in Chief.

Say it with me..

"I serve Barack Hussein Obama"

Feels good, doesn't it? Its how I start out every morning.
Winner of THE grumbler point.